IRS IPA `92
pale ale, India pale ale, extract
Source: Al Korzonas (email@example.com),
HBD Issue #1017, 11/20/92
This one works for me, but is a bit underhopped, I think.
- 6.6 lbs Northwestern Gold Extract
- 1 lb Laaglander Light Dried Malt Extract
- 1.1 lb Roger's (Canadian) Demerara-Style Brown Sugar
- 2 oz Bullion Pellets (%AA unknown) -- (90 min boil)
- 1/2 oz East Kent Goldings Whole (4%AA) (15 min boil)
- 1 oz East Kent Goldings Whole (4%AA) (dryhop - last 7 days before bottling)
- 1/3 oz Wines Inc. Burton Water Salts
- 1/2 lb 6 row Crystal Malt (40L)
- 5 gallons distilled water
- 1 gallon Chicago (soft) tapwater
- yeast recultured from 3 bottles of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Nothing special -- crush the crystal (actually, I used a rolling pin and
a ziplock bag) and put the crystal into a mesh grain bag. Suspend the
bag in the pot from the spoon as the water and Burton Water Salts go
from cool to 165F. Remove and let drain. Bring to boil, add malt extracts
and hops in hop bags at the proper times. Chill as quickly as possible.
Aerate and pitch. Use blowoff method.