Desert Storm American Steam Beer
steam beer, California common, Anchor, all-grain
Source: Stephen Russell (email@example.com)
Issue #756, 11/6/91
Judges said it was perhaps a tad thin compared to Anchor but otherwise
OK and it took 2nd out of 30 amber beers at the Hudson Valley
competition last March. With MeV kaput, I recommend using a sturdy lager
yeast or even an ale yeast for this one.
- 5 pounds, Klages lager malt
- 4 pounds, Pale Ale malt
- 1 pounds, crystal malt (40 or 60 deg Lovibond)
- 1/2 teaspoon, Irish moss
- 1-1/2 ounces, Northern Brewer (alpha 8.0)
- 1-1/2 ounces, Hallertauer (alpha 4.1)
- MeV High Temp Lager liquid yeast
Mash grains for 25 minutes at 125 degrees and 90 minutes at 150 degrees.
Mash-out for 10 minutes at 168 degrees. Sparge. Bring to boil and add
Northern Brewer hops. Boil 60 minutes. At last minute toss in
Hallertauer. Cool. Pitch yeast.