BJCP Exam Question Pool
This is the collection of questions from which exams are made. A unique
group of questions is used for each exam. Please note that this list
includes questions that are no longer in use. In addition, exams may use
questions that are not yet on this list, or variations of the questions
on this list. The Co-Directors of the program (currently Pat Baker &
Alberta Rager) determine the questions and make up the exams.
Russ Wigglesworth - 5/10/94
Categories of Questions
1. Explain the style lambic, and describe each of the following faro,
framboise, gueze and kriek.
2. Describe and differentiate the different sub categories of Stout.
3. Describe and differentiate between a Pils, Dortmunder Export, and
Munchner Helles, give commercial examples.
4. Describe and differentiate between a weizenbier, weissbier weizenbock
and a lambic.
5. Describe the Brown Ale style, include regional variations.
6. Describe the characteristics of a Rauchbier, and tell how and where
it is made.
7. Describe and differentiate 3 Strong Ale styles.
8. Describe and differentiate between a bock, dopplebock, eisbock and
9. Identify and describe 3 ale styles traditionally brewed in Germany.
10. Describe the characteristics of a Stienbier, and tell how and where
it is made.
11. Describe the flavor profile and history of a India Pale Ale.
12. Explain the bock beer style, and describes each of its variations.
13. Describe the Munich Dunkel and Schwarzbier style.
14. What is Lutece?
15. Describe the flavor profile and history of a Russian Imperial Stout.
16. Describe the German Pilsner Beer style and Bohemian Pilsner Beer
17. Explain the Pale Ale style, and describe each of its variations.
18. Identify and describe 3 beer styles that use wheat as a major
19. Identify and describe two major beer styles that use other than
lager or ale yeast for part of the fermentation.
20. Describe Porters, include regional variations and the origin of the
21. Describe the Vienna beer style.
22. Describe the various beer styles of Belgium origin.
23. What does saison mean?
24. Describe and differentiate the different sub categories of English
Bitter and Scottish Ale (Scottish Bitter).
25. Describe the Munich Helles beer style.
26. Describe and differentiate English Pale Ale, India Pale Ale and
American Pale Ale beer styles.
27. Describe, differentiate and relate the ranges of pale ales and
bitters, giving commercial examples.
28. Describe and differentiate between lager, pilsner and continenta
light styles of beer.
29. Name three hop varieties and commercial beers that reflect that
30. What is the difference between a Marsen, Oktoberfest and a Vienna
31. Describe a Marzenbier and give a commercial example.
32. A good pale ale frequently reflects the taste of what kind of malt?
33. Name two Trappist beers and describe the style.
34. Relate and differentiate between the following beer styles(bitter,
mild, brown ale and pale ale.)
35. Describe Watneys' Stingo and indicate the style.
36. What is an Alt beer?
37. Describe and differentiate between (American light,) (classic)
pilsner and continental light beers.
38. Describe the typical major taste characteristics of a foreign extra
39. Which grain or malt type is often reflected in the following beer
styles, and briefly describe the characteristics: porter, pale ale,
40. Describe a Russian Imperial Stout.
41. Describe and differentiate between Abbey and Trappist beers,
describing the flavors and giving commercial examples.
42. Identify, describe and differentiate four pale German
bottom-fermented beer styles, giving commercial examples.
43. Identify, describe and differentiate English Old ales, Strong Ales
and Barley Wines, giving commercial examples.
44. Identify, describe and differentiate top-fermented strong beer
styles, giving commercial examples.
45. Identify, describe and differentiate three bottom-fermenting German
46. How does a foreign extra stout differ from a dry stout?
47. Give the name of the German Beer Purity Law, explain the provisions
of it, and current status.
48. What is a Biere de Garde? Describe the style and give a commercial
1. What is the difference between a bittering and finishing hop and give
three traditional examples of each?
2. What parts of the hop plant are useful to the brewer and why?
3. Explain the properties a brewer wants from hops, and how each is
4. What's the difference between a flavor and an aroma hop? Give three
examples of each.
5. What properties and characteristics does the brewmaster expect from
6. What is the difference between a bittering and finishing hop? Give
three traditional examples of each.
7. Explain the effects on finished beer of: (boiling hops for an hour,
adding hops at the end of the boil.)
8. What's the difference between a flavor and an aroma hop? Give three
examples of each.
1. Describe what happens when malt is mashed and why.
2. What does a maltste mean when he talks about malt modifications?
3. Describe the major brewer's malt varieties, and briefly indicate the
character of each and why it is used by the brewer.
4. Name six malt varieties and indicate the reason each is selected by
the brewer (what beer styles reflect those malts.)
5. Name and describe two varieties of brewers pale malt. Also name and
describe five specialty malts and how and why they are used.
1. Describe the life cycle of yeast during brewing.
2. Discuss the considerations in selecting a type of yeast for a batch
of beer, and how the resulting beer will be affected by the yeast.
3. What are the technical names for ale and lager yeasts, and what are
the major differences between the yeasts?
4. Differentiate ale and lager yeast, in fermentation and in the taste
of the beer.
5. Describe the life cycle of yeast during brewing.
1. Briefly explain the changes in barley when it is malted.
2. Describe the characteristics of an oxidized beer, and explain what
can cause the beer to become oxidized.
3. What does krauzening mean, and why is it done?
4. Explain infusion, step-infusion and decoction mashing, give process
and reasons for each method.
5. Discuss diacetyl in beer, include causes, ways to prevent or avoid,
how a judge will perceive it and what styles it is appropriate for.
6. What are the functions of the "lauter tun" and the "hop back".
7. Differentiate ale and lager yeast, in brewing process and
characteristics imparted to beer.
8. Explain the different methods of carbonating beer, give process, pros
and cons of each.
9. Where in the brewing process is water treatment important and why.
10. Discuss astringency in beer, include causes, ways to prevent or
avoid and how a judge will perceive it.
11. When is the addition of oxygen desirable in the brewing process.
When is the addition of oxygen not desirable in the brewing process.
How is the undesirable addition perceived by the judge.
12. Give four reasons why a brewer boils his wort, and how boiling
achieves these purposes.
13. Explain how Chocolate Malt and Crystal Malt are produced, and what
each contributes to the finished beer.
14. Select any traditional beer style and give a recipe for a 5 gallon
batch of homebrew that will fit that style. Explain why the recipe
will fit the style selected. Indicate approximate starting and
finishing gravity. Please do not use the fruit, herb, or specialty
15. Explain how Roasted Barley and Crystal Malt are produced, and what
each contributes to the finished beer.
16. Explain how Munich Malt and Crystal Malt are produced, and what each
contributes to the finished beer.
17. Discuss Phenols and Chlorophenols in beer, include causes, ways to
prevent or avoid, how a judge will perceive them.
18. Explain how Dextrin Malt and Crystal Malt are produced, what
characteristic each contribute to the finished beer, and how those
characteristics can be extracted.
19. Discuss DMS in beer, include causes, ways to prevent or avoid, how a
judge will perceive it, and what styles it can be acceptable in.
20. What are the proper serving temperatures for real beer?
21. What is the source of chill haze: What are two ways to combat the
problem? (Discuss the causes of haze in beer.)
22. Describe the smell of diacetyl.
23. Why does a beer gush?
24. What is the alcoholic content of an English bitter, and indicate the
strength by weight and by volume.
25. What cause the following off-flavors, and how does the brewer avoid
them? Cidery tastes, sour tastes, cardboardy taste, astringency,
26. Explain how each of the following grains are produced, and what
effect each has on beer; (black patent, chocolate malt, Dextrin
malt, Cara-pils, roasted barley, Munich malt.)
27. Acrospire length relates to modification. What is an acrospire, what
is modification, and what is occurring?
28. What is the difference between Saccharomyces Carlsberghensis and
29. Discuss the origin and impact of DMS in beer.
30. Discuss the kettle boil and what it does for the brewer.
31. Name three beer clarifying aids, explaining how, when and why they
32. Describe four flaws found in beer, explaining the cause and how the
problem can be avoided.
33. Describe the action of enzymes during brewing, identifying at least
two (preferably three) specific enzymes.
34. What is the "hot-break" and what is happening?
35. What is pH, what is the proper pH during the mash, and why is it
important in mashing?
36. How do you kraeusen your beer, and why?
1. Explain how a participant in the Judge Certification Program
2. Explain how a judge prepares for a judging session, include what a
judge should bring to a session.
3. Describe how the Beer Judge Certification Program is organized and
how a judge progresses within it.