Post Number: 704
Posted From: 220.127.116.11
|Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 06:43 pm: ||
I did get 10 gallons into the fermenters. My troubles:
1. Felt the bottom of a converted keg with the back of my hand to see if it was hot.
2. Picked up my turkey fryer hose to mop up a little water ( so I wouldn't track it in the house),
ended up with the hose sitting on the red hot keg support. Hose began to melt.
3. Sqeezing hops bag with tongs at the end of the boil...dropped tongs into the BK.
4. Knocked my O2 bottle from counter to floor while aerating.
I will not be going out driving anywhere tonight. Will not waste time buying a lottery ticket either.
Anybody else error today?
Post Number: 223
Posted From: 18.104.22.168
|Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 08:17 pm: ||
Not today, but last Thurs. I did.
I tried to push the last few grains of malt into the mill and the rollers caught my finger, causing a really ugly looking blood blister looking thing. ( and it's my typing finger )
Then I grabbed the container of chalk instead of the container of gypsum and put 1/4 tsp. of it into the pre boil wort.
I think you've still got me beat, Wacobob.
Post Number: 257
Posted From: 22.214.171.124
|Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 09:30 pm: ||
You win, Wacobob.
All I've done today is step up my starter for the Abbey Single I'm brewing in a few days. Smells yummy.
Post Number: 812
Posted From: 126.96.36.199
|Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 09:59 pm: ||
No errors today...yet. Started my starter of Irish ale yeast for Tuesday. Either an Irish red or a dry stout. I won't decide until Monday when I crush the malt. Cleaned a beer line and a tap after killing the Saison last night and replaced it with a Blueberry Witbier. It's okay. My wife had 10 pounds of blueberries she needed to use for something. I'm also working on the new fishpond in the basement, today. Didn't get very far, before tasting beers, and I'm probably done for the day, since beer and power tools don't mix.
Here's to your sense of humor!
Post Number: 338
Posted From: 188.8.131.52
|Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 04:22 am: ||
Brewing a Helles today. My ProMash calculations for a double-infusion let me down (again), so I opted for a single decoction in addition to the infusions. A fortunate error, I think. I told my wife I'm looking forward to tasting the results of my "mistake."
Post Number: 818
Posted From: 184.108.40.206
|Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 05:57 pm: ||
Yesterday I added about 12 oz of American Brown Ale to the oak top for the 9-drawer dresser I'm working on. I guess that's what I get for asking about adding oak to beer...I added beer to oak.
Post Number: 41
Posted From: 220.127.116.11
|Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 11:46 pm: ||
Yesterday I brewed a Czech Pils. Because my water is so crappy, I started with RO water and added minerals to do a rough approximation of Pilsen water. I figured this would probably screw up my efficiency (normally just over 75%) so I based the recipe on 70% efficiency. Well, it did screw up my efficiency. I ended up with 85% efficiency! Imperial Czech Pils anyone?
Bugeater Brewing Company
Post Number: 1169
Posted From: 18.104.22.168
|Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 12:40 am: ||
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think mash pH has a lot to do with efficiency. And light/dark grains, unfamiliar grains, or different water all have an effect on mash pH. Since I've been checking and adjusting my mash pH I've had very consistent efficiency.
Post Number: 42
Posted From: 22.214.171.124
|Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 05:46 pm: ||
I agree Richard. My efficiency took a jump of about 5% on average once I started checking and adjusting my ph. I was all set to play with the ph on the Czech pils mentioned above because the water was totally new, but the mash ph came out at 5.21 so I didn't have to mess with that at all.
Bugeater Brewing Company