Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * April 1, 2003 * Bulk vs bottle aging < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Hornbrau (130.76.96.17)
Posted on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 08:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Never gave much thought to the differences that might exist between aging in the bottle or aging in a carboy/cornie until last night. About 4 months ago I brewed up a hoppy APA and like usual I kegged it carbed it and tapped it. Well she ran dry last weekend (sniff-sniff) and it wasn't till I found a couple of bottles under that bar Wednesday night that I remembered I had bottled a couple beers from that batch. I drank one of those bottles last night and wow it tasted like a different beer. The flavor was pretty much the same but the bite from the hops was much more noticable and it wasn't near as smooth as the kegged version I had enjoyed just a few days earlier. I saved the other bottle, figured I'd try it in another couple months and see if it has mellowed out yet. Just an FYI for those of you out there considering aging in bulk before you bottle.

Robert Canning (142.177.7.79)
Posted on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 10:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm convinced that kegging and force carbing has a different flavour due to lack of priming sugar. I make 5 Imp. gallon batches so there is around a gallon left over after filling corny. I bottle this and prime in the bottle. The difference is amazing. I prefer the kegged by far.

Hornbrau (24.217.223.92)
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,

I didn't add any priming sugar to the bottles, I knew the beer wasn't quite finished, but I had another batch waiting to go in the carboy so I kegged anyway. I wouldn't thinik that the small amout of priming sugar (3-4oz for 50+ beers) would make much difference.

don price (65.32.41.75)
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could part of the difference have been caused by cold-conditioning the keg vs room temp bottle aging?

Don

Hornbrau (24.217.223.92)
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 08:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well the keg didn't go into the fridge till it was time to tap, probably sat in there about 2 months as I was drinking it.

Denny Conn (140.211.82.4)
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 08:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't really know the chemistry behind it, but it seems generaaly accepted that bulk aging works better than bottle aging. Maybe it's one of those mysteries of the universe...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.