Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * April 1, 2003 * "Lager hops" in ales < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Chad Buckner (65.238.38.48)
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 03:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There seems to be a fairly consistent divide between hops used for ales vs. those used for lagers.

I enjoy the hop profile of hops traditionaly used in lagers, but I do not have the fridge space to lager very often. I am planning to attempt a pale ale with Hallertauer Mittelfruh and Tettnanger hops.

Any thing I should know before starting?

Bill Pierce (12.249.104.53)
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 04:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wouldn't make a distinction between "ale" and "lager" hops. It is true that many lagers are German styles that traditionally use noble hop varieties. However, noble varieties are also sometimes used in Belgian ales, for example. Noble hops are lower in alpha acids, which means you will need a greater amount in a more bitter style such as a pale ale, but there is no reason they can't be used.

waddler (206.45.160.206)
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 04:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I once made a pale ale using all saaz hops. Tasted great,but out of style. Anyway, who cares about style.That's what makes recipe formulating fun.

JT (24.59.128.69)
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 04:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Today I'm going to brew an "IPA" using Perle, Northern Brewer, Hallertau, Fuggle, Tettnang, and Cascade hops. I'm cleaning out my freezer.

matt_dinges (65.237.72.243)
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 07:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One of my favorite brews uses cascades and Hall. Mitt.

Advice for a pale ale with HMs....use a lot of them and you won't regret it they are fabulous hops...dry hop with 1-2oz.

And I agree with Bill, there are no "lager" hops and "ale" hops, just some styles tend to use particular varities more. Is that because we, as consumers, simply expect those hops? I think that is partly the case, with brewing tradition (this is somewhat encompassed in the "style" definitions) being a more major factor. Geograghy seems to play a role too.

But what about the "new" hops what should they be used for??

I think flavor/aroma and bittering is a much better way to divide hops. Although with some of the newer varieties the high alpha bittering hops also have good flavor/aroma.

I like to brew ales using differnet hop varieties for 100% of the hop bill, just to see what a particular variety is like. That way I will eventually be able to decide from experience what hops I want to use to produce a certain effect in the brew. Tett is one I haven't done yet, but I've got 1/2# in the freezer waiting for me.

Bill Pierce (12.249.104.53)
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 08:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Matt, Tettnanger are the signature aroma hops in Sam Adams Boston Lager. It's not overwhelmingly bittered, by any means, but the Tetts are apparant in the finish.

Jim Keaveney (64.12.97.9)
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 11:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

waddler: i made that beer too. called it "Saazale". (creative, eh?) very nice.

Midwest Brewer (66.167.64.132)
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 12:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mittlefruh and Tettnanger? Hell...that's a Sam Adams clone!

Dryhop w/some Tettnang and you will have a great beer.

MWB

Ted Enright (68.78.149.179)
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 01:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I make a Bitter using Sterling hops. They are one of the newer hops, and part of their ancestery is Saaz and Cascade. It makes for a very nice brew.

craig white (67.192.34.37)
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have made a few ales with ammarillo hops and they were great but i want to try a lager with them, i also want to make a pale ale with 100% cascade.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.