Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * April 1, 2003 * Just starting out, have a couple questions < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Jim Johnson (68.32.10.68)
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 02:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howdy fellas,

my name's jim and i'm just starting out with brewing my own beer most likely this weekend if all goes well.
I've never done this before and I was hoping you guys could help me get started out with information on ingrediants.

My first and biggest question is on the yeast. Do you need to use special yeast for putting on top of the wort to start fermentation? Or can you just use the yeast you'd find at a grocery store. If not, what kind of yeast do you need?
Can i send my punk kids to get it for me or will they not let them? haha

My second question is about brewing drinks such as Mikes Hard Lemonade style drinks. Is there a special yeast for this kind of drink? And would u guys basically suggest using concentrated juicec cans for flavoring it?

Thanks a lot

Bill Pierce (12.249.104.53)
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 03:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You would be far better off using beer yeast, which is available from many homebrew shops and suppliers. For a beginner I would recommend a dry ale strain, which only needs to be rehydrated for about 15 minutes in 95-100 F water, rather than liquid yeast.

The truth is that these lemon drinks contain very little malt (barely enough to satisfy the legal requirements in some states) and are hardly "brewed" in the sense that beer is. They are really sweetened cocktails with neutral spirits. You are better off to make a pitcher of lemonade and spike it with vodka to taste. You won't be able to tell the difference between that and what you would buy.

Robert Canning (142.177.113.242)
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 04:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

www.howtobrew.com
that's all you need plus this forum

big earl (209.222.26.27)
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 02:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FIND,
A Local Homebrew Store, they will set you strait

some posters on this site have made a hard lemon brew
w/ malt extract, sugar, honey, lemonade concentrate & ale yeast

I've tatsed some at a brew club meeting and it comes out very dry

Bob L. (199.223.19.3)
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We use to drink this in college and I believe it may be similar to the hard lemonade drink you desire. Take one small can frozen lemon/lime aide concentrate, dump into a large beer pitcher. Fill lemonaide can with vodka and dump in pitcher. Fill pitcher with beer. I have not had this in years but at the time it was popular.

Tony Osko (4.38.82.62)
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go out and buy Palmer's book "How to Brew" before you do anything.
I just brewed my first "real" batch this weekend and without that book and some good advice from this forum, it would've been a disaster.
His section on yeast starters is especially valuable.

As far as hard lemonade (yuck), I'd just do what Bob L. said. Personally, that stuff makes my stomach ache.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.