Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * April 1, 2003 * Odd - My Yeast Starter Tastes Better Than The Main Batch For My Cz. Pils < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Shane Mock (209.84.179.143)
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 03:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently brewed a Czech Pilsner and pitched the risen yeast pack (H-Strain 2oo2, Gambrinus Lager Wyeast) into freshly brewed wort from 2 lbs of well-modified Cz. Pilsner malt hopped with 1/4 oz of Saaz for 60 min, 1/8 oz for 40 min, and 1/8 oz for 10 min. Total starter boil time, 1 hour. Cooled the wort, pitched yeast, and propogated the yeast for the main 5-gallon batch. I saved the wort from the starter and pitched the slurry into the 5-gallon batch. I saved the starter wort in a 2-Liter growler and bottled it tonight along with a few bottles from my main 5-gallon batch of Cz. Pils. (I thought, why not bottle and drink the brew from the starter since it's all-grain wort that's lightly hopped similar to the main batch??)

Funny thing is, the brew from the yeast starter has a FANTASTIC Saaz hop flavor that lingers so nicely, while my 5-gallon batch is kind of blah. Do I now brew 2-liter size batches?? I hopped them similarly, but only scaled back the starter to accomodate the 2-liter quantity. Weird....

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.