Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * April 1, 2003 * Venturi < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Paul McHugh (67.34.213.44)
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone have the link or a hard copy of the design for a venturi pump? It was made out of a few standard copper fittings. If my memory serves me right it was about a year ago when I saw it.

Jake Isaacs (128.163.110.72)
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 11:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's what I did. It should go without saying that I'm not a draftsman by training, skill, or inclination, so hopefully it's understandable. I used the inner hose from a stainless jacketed washer hose (perfect fit on the 3/8" side of the reducer) to connect the suction of the pump to one stem of a carboy cap on my fermenter. A hose clamp was necessary on the pump end, but it snugs down nicely on the taller/thinner of the two stems of the purple caps for 6.5 gal carboys.

venturi

Paul McHugh (67.34.213.44)
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 01:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jake,

That is excactly what I was talking about, I actually told everybody the other day I had a drawing... I do now!

Thanks Jake.

Todd Metcalf (32.97.110.67)
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 03:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Walmart also sells a device for emptying water beds. Same thing as the drawing above. Just the water out doesn't have a hose connector on it. The other two ports do. I believe it was only 5 dollars.

Beerboy (81.134.87.88)
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 03:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What does it do?

Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 06:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would be inclined to try the cheaper Walmart device instead of buying the wort wizard at 5x(?) the price. However, tinkering is half the fun of brewing for me, so you might as well put your scrap to work for you.

Beerboy, the water spraying into the chamber formed by the tee forms a low air pressure area that can be used to make a cheap pump. My CFC wort output goes through one stem of a carboy cap and the suction is attached to the other. When the cooling water is turned on, the suction lowers the pressure in the carboy, which pulls wort out of my kettle, through the CFC, and into the fermenter. There is also enough pressure differential to pull air into the cooled wort stream (teed off just before the carboy cap) through a filter.

Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 06:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh yeah, I should point out that glass carboys are not designed to support external pressure in this way and there may be some chance that they could implode. I don't think a device like this will provide nearly enough suction for that to happen, but (as always) use your own judgement.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to balance my turkey fryer on empty milk jugs...

don price (65.32.41.75)
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 12:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FYI - A well designed venturi (with the proper water supply/pressure) can develop a vacuum of 28-29 inches of mercury. Atmospheric pressure is around 30-inches of mercury.

Don

kevin bower (66.61.140.4)
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 02:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

how did you hook the venturi inline with the water. I would be using mine connected directly to the hose, inline before the chiller. My CFC is the "cylinder type", so the outflow from it wouldn't provide enough suction.flow to work effectively

David Woods (67.242.51.18)
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 04:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don,
I thought atmospheric pressure was around 14.
Did I fall asleep at the wrong time in class again?

David

Bill Pierce (12.207.82.170)
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 04:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, David, you were asleep in physics. Atmospheric pressure is approximately 14.7 pounds per square inch or about 30 inches of a column of mercury.

Craig Johnson (198.81.26.135)
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 01:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I purchased a cheapo water bed pump that works on the venturi principle years ago. It did not provide much suction but did have enough to raise a one inch diameter column of water four feet. I found that it worked well as a siphon starter and only minimally as a pump.

Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would think it's critical to have the venturi on the outlet side of the CFC. The flow into the CFC is restricted, so the water would end up just flowing into the "suction" hose. My CFC fittings are also based around 1/2" copper pipe, so mounting the venturi where the water outlet hose went was a breeze.

Denny Conn (63.114.138.2)
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 05:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While you guys re-invent the wheel, I'll just keep using my WortWizard...:)

Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 06:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, I make all my own wheels, too (everything from my car to CD player). Mainly to spite Al Gore, who invented it.

Jack Corrozi (192.189.32.10)
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 06:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm with you Denny. 20 bucks and I just screwed it onto my chiller. Works like a charm!

Denny Conn (63.114.138.2)
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jake, if you like making things, more power to ya...me, I'd rather get it and go.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.