Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * April 15, 2003 * Grow your own hops < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
What hops should I grow ????????ELK03-27-03  04:37 pm
  Start New Thread        

Chuck Denyer (24.51.112.107)
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 03:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

B3 is selling hop rhizomes now. How much does 1 rhizome produce? Do I need to buy multiple of the same variety? Or maybe just one of a couple kinds....

Chuck

Vance Barnes (12.98.224.90)
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 04:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1 rhizome = 1 plant. Most varieties don't yeild any hops the first year. Second year they do and third plus they really take off. All this of course if they don't die along the way. They like sunny and well drained areas for planting. See the Rhizomes II thread already going.

Beertracker (68.0.70.197)
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 06:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chuck,
I would recommend Cascade, Fuggles, or Nugget for the novice hop grower. You can combine & plant as many varieties as you have gardening time & space for. Keeping in mind that you'll need to prune, train, & water new growth vines frequently. I keep my vines about 3-4' from each other to keep them from entagling with each other. CHEERS! Beertracker

Walt Fischer (192.25.240.225)
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 07:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

im thinking about growing just 1 plant fer fun.. :)

Im in colorado springs.. soo which one do ya think?
Kent Golden or Saaz?

Walt
----

Bill Pierce (208.57.122.28)
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 07:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are growing just for the fun of it, go with Cascades. They are hardy and prolific and relatively low maintenance.

Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 07:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yea.. i know they are fastest and easiest.
Just use alot of KG and saaz in my belgiums and thought i could contribute some to the cause.. :)
Can you sub cascades for KG, saaz, or hal hersbrucker?

Course i could always startup a long term IPA attack..;>

Walt
---

Beertracker (68.0.70.197)
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 07:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Walt,
I definitely wouldn't recommend trying to grow Saaz in your climate. Saaz is actually a very low yielding variety & relatively high maintenance. CHEERS! Beertracker

Miker (209.12.32.132)
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 08:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1 rhizome = 1 plant, but 1 plant can produce lots of bines even in the first year. Most people select 2-4 of the hardiest bines and prune the rest.

Walt, I planted Chinook, Mt. Hood, and Cascade in Co. Springs last year. The Chinook never came up but they (The Thyme Garden - organic rhizomes) are replacing it at no charge. The other 2 produced a few cones which I picked off early to route energy to the rest of the plant. I'm hoping for some harvest this year.

Besides Saaz, I've heard Kent Golding is tough to get much production out of, too.

http://www.thymegarden.com/

Dan Schultz (63.224.229.227)
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 08:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Walt, look at using Santiam. They are very prolific and are a Tetnanger hybrid. Not as spicy as Saaz but still a nice european flavor to them.

I have three hops plants going on their third year this year. Each put out about 1 oz of hops in year one. The Cascade and Nugget put out almost 3 pounds each last year and the Santiam put out almost 6 pounds. I took 2 sets of 3 bines from each plant and went vertical about 9 feet and then horizontal about 15 feet (they had more room if they needed it. Space them about 5 feet apart if using the 2 x 3 method.

Chuck, one rhizome per variety is plenty for most any homebrewer as you can see by my yileds. I am in the metro Portland area so YMMV based on where you live.

ELK (66.219.192.12)
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 09:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Must be some of you folks that could form a hops co-op. And spread around the excess??

Dave Witt (152.163.188.67)
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 12:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan,

I'm looking for a Santiam. Freshops is not offering them this year. Where did you get yours?

Kurt Schweter (12.3.208.130)
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 12:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

dbl post

Kurt Schweter (12.3.208.130)
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 12:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

free to a good home - a large pot of 4 year old cascades - I'm adding some new varieties to the garden

Posted on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 01:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave, my Santiam came from Freshops. They list them on their site. Are they saying something different via phone or email?

Here's a link to some other non-traditional sources for Oregon hop rhizomes: http://hop.oda.state.or.us/hoproot2.html .

Hey, I see B3 is selling Santiam rhizomes!

Dave Witt (152.163.188.67)
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 02:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan,

I e-mailed Dave Wills the other day and he relied "no Santiam". The site had them listed but, a few days later I was going to order but they changed their order form to exclude Santiam.

I'm intrigued with how big of harvest you got(6#). Was this the fresh or dry wt?

I'll check out B3. I was there a couple hours ago and I only saw cascade.

Posted on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 03:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

6# was dry weight. They were the last to mature. I think I picked in early October.

Posted on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 05:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

welp... ordered up 1 cascade and 1 santiam from B3.
I'll stick em in the ground and see what happens :)

Thanks All!
Walt
----

Paul McHugh (68.153.72.56)
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 09:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kurt,

Where are you located? I'm in Florida. I'd love to get my hands on your plant (easy guys)...

Doug Pescatore (141.232.1.10)
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 09:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The question is can I grow these things in Florida? I live in Palm Beach where we may get one or two frosts per year and it only rains once a day during the summer (summer is May through end of Sept.). I would love to give it a shot.

-Doug

Posted on Friday, March 28, 2003 - 09:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You may not have a large crop, but yes, hops will grow in Palm Beach, Doug. You will need a sunny spot with good drainage.

Doug E. Fresh (64.26.199.51)
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 03:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was thinking of getting some Cascades and Santiam but it's still f***ing snowing here in NH. When does it get to the point where it's just too late to plant to get a good growing season? When does it get to the point where I should sell my house and move to California?

Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't worry, Doug E., you should be able to plant in May and still have a small crop, although as everyone says, it takes 2-3 years to achieve a high yield.

Sail (136.181.195.17)
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had good luck with www.freshops.com for a source. Nothing fancy but inexpensive, good roots.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.