Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * April 15, 2003 * Time for Dryhoping < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Steve Anderson (205.188.209.80)
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 11:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an APA that finished up really quickly in the primary. I am now dryhoping in the secondary. Fermentation in complete. How long should I leave it itn the secondary before kegging. I've got an oz. of cascades in the secondary. Im loking for a SNPA kind of finish, although it is not my SNPA clone recipe.

Steve Anderson

Mike Mayer (205.188.209.80)
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 01:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've only dry hopped once, and I left it in the secondary for 1 week. Turned out great, very strong hop flavor that took about 2 months in the keg to really smooth out nicely.

Denny Conn (63.114.138.2)
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 07:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1 week minimum, 2 weeks is better. Dry hopping in the keg is even better.

Steve H. (208.59.249.9)
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 08:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When dry hopping in the keg, can you "overdo" it. My kegging system is new to me, so I've never tried it this way. My next brew will my 1st attempt at DC's rye IPA which calls for dry hopping. Is it Ok to dry hop in the keg during the storage and tapping period? Possibly months for 10 gal.

Steve

Denny Conn (63.114.138.2)
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2003 - 11:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, if you're making my Rye IPA, you can't overdo it! But, just in case, when I dry hop in the keg, I put thge hops in a bag and tie the bag to the diptube with some monofilament. That way, if it gets to be too much (not likely at my house!), you can pull the hop bag out.

Randy McCord (12.104.215.146)
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 02:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you forget to tie it off, or you lose your retraction line, I'd bet a good treble hook would fish that bag out. Just a thought because I just filled my first keg with the hops weighted down in the bottom. After it was full of beer I thought, hmm, what if I want to get those out of there before the keg is empty? A treble hook will get hung up on anything it touches in my experience. (Fingers, ears, clothes, other peoples fingers and ears, etc.)

Chuck Denyer (24.51.112.107)
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 02:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What about dry hopping a Lager? I have a clone of Sam Adams Boston Lager in Primary now. It calls to dry hop in the secondary. How long should I leave it in?

Bill Pierce (208.57.122.28)
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would be inclined to dry hop a lager during the last 1-2 weeks of secondary prior to bottling or kegging.

Midwest Brewer (194.205.123.10)
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 04:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hell...I leave the hops in the keg the whole time. There is only a finite amount that they will contribute to the overall flavor of the beer.

MWB

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.