Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * April 15, 2003 * Pre-fab brewing systems < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Steve H. (208.59.249.9)
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

On occasion I check out Ebay for brewing related items. Following a search, a brewing system from this outfit came up. It appears that they are a fairly new company.

A review of their site looks like they have some really decent prices for some nice systems. I know many of us like to fabricate our own systems, but for those who want to purchase pre-made units, this place might be worth a look. I already have a system so I have no experience with Brewtree. Just an FYI.

http://www.brewtree.com

Steve H.

Michael Boyd (66.81.211.207)
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 04:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was thinking about buying their CF chiller. It's about half the price of the other commercial ones, but, the outside is a garden hose rather than copper. Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?
If I buy this one I'll pick it up at their office(store, warehouse?)and can get a good idea of the operation there. I keep you posted.

Bill Pierce (12.207.82.170)
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 05:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's the inner tubing in a CF chiller that matters. Very little of the heat is radiated by the outer tubing. The overwhelming majority is carried off by the water.

Dan Schultz (63.224.229.227)
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 08:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steve, I'm a little leary of that brew tree. It looks like the kegs are bolted to the stand which means the mash tun and kettle would be a real bitch to clean. I also don't like the height of the mash tun. A three tier stand doesn't need to be that high.

Check out www.homebrewheaven.com and look at their Peak brewing stand.

Bill Aimonetti (12.86.24.207)
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 11:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I checked out that system on Ebay. It was first listed for $299 then $599 and now $699. I suggest going to the guys website and reading his brewing philosophy. IMHO he contradicts himself several times. As for the system itself, the kegs he uses are the ones with rubber tops and bottoms that have been removed leaving a rounded bottom and his fittings are not welded. I think they are strapped to the tree but still not easy to service. It looks nice and probably would work OK but you never know. just my opinion.

Brew Master (12.212.124.210)
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 12:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That guy at Breetree.com has some very serious issues figuring out how to prevent stuck mashes. No credibility at all in his little Infusion vs RIMS article. Definately a fumbling novice who never availed himself of an experienced mentor, or at least a brew buddy with more smarts.

Lance Owens (12.254.174.93)
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 06:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Having just researched and built a fairly "delux" electic AG system, at a cost of $1,500, this Beertree system looks pretty sound to me. I see nothing in the pictures to indicate problems, and the design looks reasonable. It would cost around $600 to put this basic system together from scratch -- so the cost seems very fair to me. The height of the stand is rather excessive, and will make it difficult to use, but that is the only problem I see. (I used a pump, and built a single level system.)

I also used this type of keg -- and they work very well for my electric system.

Beer_Lifter (66.75.143.130)
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2003 - 09:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't really have an issue with the stuff, they sell a ton of junk on ebay and some of it looks pretty good. I have a **HUGE** problem with his idiotic MIDI and his severely annoying use of JS mouse trails. For this alone I refuse to buy anything from this site.

GREENPUS (214.3.17.38)
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOL

:)

Walt Fischer (192.25.240.225)
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 02:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

must agree with Beer Lifter here..
Using stupid midi and mouse tricks went out with mosaic 2.0 ....

very unprofessional...

Walt
----

Jim Keaveney (64.12.97.9)
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 04:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the peak system dan mentioned from Homebrew Heaven. i am generally satisfied. 1 complaint is that the paint melts off of the burner shelves and flakes. since the boil kettle is underneath the hlt, you have to be careful not to get paint chips in your beer. after awhile everything burns off and there is no longer an issue.

the brew tree has a lot of extras not found on the peak system. for starters, it includes the vessels and the hlt and mashtun have thermometers. it also has a water filter (the same one i have been talking about adding to my system for awhile) and a counterflow chiller. the stand is high which can be a pita but also alows you to drain the kettle easily by using gravity. space is tight on the peak and before i got a pump, draining was slow going. i actually have the stand on my deck and put the bucket on the ground about 10 inches below to allow me to drain using gravity.

Brandon Dachel (208.44.235.190)
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 05:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

> I suggest going to the guys website and reading
> his brewing philosophy.

I just did that. Not that I have anything against single infusion mashes but I'm in the process of doing the circuit board layout for a homebrewed (ha ha, get it?) RIMS controller. I'm doing it because it's a challenge. It sounds like he spent a whole ton of cash on a system that he didn't understand how to use. None of the things he describes as 'problems' with RIMS/HERMS systems are unavoidable, IMHO.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.