Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * September 2, 2003 * Best homebrew book on the market? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Tony (4.38.82.62)
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have Miller's book, which is okay but at times seems like it was edited by people who didn't know how to arrange the chapters. I HAD Palmer's "How to Brew" but I lent it to a friend that I don't see very often... Not that he's a theif, but he's as flaky as I am sometimes.

Anyway, I trust the opinions of the people here so I'd like to get a consensus on what the very best homebrewing book is on the market. I'm probably going to buy Palmer's book again but I'm also looking for a book that has good instructions for AG. Thanks.

Bill Pierce (208.57.122.28)
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 05:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John Palmer's How to Brew remains the best book on both extract and all-grain brewing in my opinion. You already have Dave Miller's book, and Greg Noonan's New Brewing Lager Beer (out of print but a new edition is coming this fall) is on the heavy side but has some very good information. Those are probably the best references on the process of brewing.

Paul Edwards (199.46.200.237)
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 06:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tony,

I don't think there's an easy answer to your question. Lots of good books out there.

Noonan's "New Brewing Lager Beer" is a good one. Currently out of print, but supposed to be available again soon. Good info even if you don't brew lagers.

"Designing Great Beers" by Ray Daniels is one that I really like for recipe formulation guidance.

"Homebrewing, vol I" by Al Korzonas is more geared to beginning and intermediate brewers, but has tons of good info nonetheless.

And, of course, Palmer's book is terrific.

The books in the Classic Beer Styles series are all pretty good.

I've bought just about every brewing book I've been able to get my hands on, including some college texts like "Malting & Brewing Science" and DeClerk's epic, "A Textbook of Brewing". There's something to be learned from each of them.

Doug Pescatore (141.232.1.10)
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 06:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill P. hasn't written one yet.

Tony (4.38.82.62)
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 09:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What about "The Joy of Homebrewing"? I've read reviews that says that it's a pretty good book. I'm just looking for another beer book to read that will help me formulate good recipes. Looks like I'm off to Amazon to purchase "Designing Great Beers".

Beer_Lifter (66.75.143.130)
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Miller's book could have been edited down to 1/3 the current length. I own it, but simply cannot read it since he often has 3 chapters in succession on exactly the same subjects making it extremely hard to glean info from (for me).

I like "Designing Great Beer" and "7 barrel brewery" - my 2 fave books, though I have to admit that I have neither "The brewer's companion" (not "The HOMEbrewer's compaion") or "Brewing Lager Beer."

Some of the "styles" books are great, others not so great - I liked the ones on scottish/scotch ales and the one on belgium beers quite a lot.

NCJHB was at one time a great book I guess, but I could not fathom looking in there for answers now. It is a fun book to be sure, and has lots of pics of people drinking homebrew while brewing. Many of the recipes look like what you'd find in the cat's meow or gambrinus' mug. Personally I think if you can find it used it's worth owning, but I'd buy something else new.

Walt Fischer (192.25.240.225)
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For brewing, John Palmer's book.
I started with The Joy of Homebrewing, but im thinking Johns is better.

check out "CloneBrews" and "Beer Captured" for some recipes too...

Walt
----

Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 10:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Designing Great Beers is a curious and wonderful book. It does not contain a single recipe yet it is invaluable for recipe formulation. It has considerable information about ingredients but rather little about the brewing process.

Tom Gardner (162.119.240.100)
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rumor has it that there will be a new edition of Joy of Homebrewing out this Fall.

Frank Marsh (205.188.208.73)
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 01:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I never hear anyone mention the Brewmasters Bible by Stephen Snyder, Which IMO is a very good book for beginners as well as a good reference for more experienced brewers. I have every book mentioned above, but I still hit the Bible now and again.

Ed Fleming (205.181.240.193)
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think "Beer Captured", and "Clone Brews" are great books for formulating recipes. Even if you're not looking to brew clones, they are a good resource to base recipes on.

Chris Colby (66.25.197.116)
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are interested in brewing a particular style of beer, the Classic Beer Style Series are (mostly) good as well. I especially like Warner's "German Wheat Beer" treatise.

Chris Colby
Bastrop, TX

Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 04:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In an odd way, Clone Brews and Beer Captured are great companions to Designing Great Beers. They provide examples for (and occasional exceptions to) the principles and concepts Ray Daniels presents for the various styles.

Greg Nolan (12.10.148.126)
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 01:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If your new, get Homebrewing for Dummies book. The answer really depends at what stage of brewing your at. I have been brewing for about three years and still consistently go back to the dummies book and I have most the others mentioned here. Lately, I have been more interesting in technical stuff. However, the dummies book explains the technical stuff as well just not as much depth. My only problem is I keep misplacing my dummies book then I run around the house like a dummie looking for it.

RonJeremy4Pres (170.215.1.39)
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 02:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not a great brewer, but I have a lot of books and I would say these 4 are my faves:

How to Brew-Palmer

Homebrewing Vol. 1-Korzonas

CloneBrews & Beer Captured-Szamatulski (sp?)

Designing great beers is a good book, but IMHO the two Szamatulski books tell you what's in a great beer in a much more concise manner. Their ingredient lists are more accurate than anyone elses recipies and are a great reference for "what gives this beer this taste..." questions.

I think the New Complete Joy of Homebrewing book was probably great back in the day, but is now way outdated.

Sand (216.201.45.28)
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brewing Lager Beer has to be one of the best books on mashing.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.