Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * September 2, 2003 * Tap-a-draft < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
TestBill Aimonetti05-31-03  11:04 pm
  Start New Thread        

Beer_Lifter (66.75.143.130)
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 04:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, so I have been wanting to get into kegging for a while now, primarily because I am simply sick of bottling. However, I can't splash out on a new freezer or fridge right now, and have no interest in getting a garbage fridge from someone who is tossing theirs out. Long story short, until I can do it right, I am not getting into kegging. So, my wife, being a kind and loving person, scored me a tap-a-draft to use until I *can* start kegging.

This brings me to my question for any TAD owners/users. I have read positive reviews of this device, but only in so far as it seems to be a good option for this type of setup. Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of? Is there a prefered method for cleaning/sanatizing? I assume that the claims of being able to force-carb with seltzer charges is BS, right? Anyone have any info they'd like to share?

TIA,

Beer Lifter

Jon Reid (204.210.63.5)
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 05:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why don't you want an old fridge? Perfectly good ones can be had for free up to 150 dollars... Some appliance repair shops will sell used fridges or freezers for cheap with a warranty, and clean too.

big earl (209.222.26.27)
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 01:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought one, it works ok, but after a few months I realized I needed a "real" corny system,
you still have to go through 90% of the bottleing process with a T-A-D.

prime about the same amount of corn sugar as bottles, or just under

Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 01:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just can't afford a new/used fridge and a corny setup right now. I'd love to be able to, but unfortunately beer isn't my only interest and I have to divide up my cash accordingly. All the free fridges I have seen have been on their last legs and I wouldn't take if somone were to pay me. Maybe in a few months or a year I'll score one, but I have too many other things to consider right now. I do understand that the TAD is not the best route to go, but it was a gift and I'll sure as hell try it out.

Bob L. (199.223.19.3)
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the TAD system and it works fine. Everyone pushes the corny systems but I do not spend a lot of time at my house and do not drink much of my homebrew at my house so the corny system is not the best use of my time and money.

If you TAD the entire batch then filling 3 bottles and screwing on 3 caps is a lot less work than filling and capping 48 bottles. I ususally split my batches between the TAD and 12oz bottles.

The only suggestion I have is on storing the bottles. I use to store them on the side and when the tap was installed sometimes the yeast sediment would end up on the top or side of the bottle and have to resettle. Someone of this board suggested storing them on their end and the yeast settles at the bottom. Works better. I have not tried to force carbonate with the TAD.

Donnie Howard (64.63.210.194)
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 03:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like the system a lot. You can also use 3 liter soda bottles with one cartridge. I split my batch between TAD/soda bottles and regular bottles. I am setting up a corny system now, but I will still use the TAD for parties, etc.

I also suggest storing them standing up. It is rare that I get any yeast in the glass when stored that way. However, it can be tricky - the bottom of the bottle is round.

A few pitfalls. . .once you tap it, you need to wait a few hours or it foams a lot. No big deal, I just refrigerate and tap the night before I want to drink. If I need to drink right away, the foam goes away after a glass or two.
I was not happy with force carbonation. Didn't work well at all in my opinion.

Walt Fischer (192.25.240.225)
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 07:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look at scoring a used fridge that ISNT on its last leg, in a college town...many times they are moving on, and want to get rid of a perfectly good working one... thats what i did.
$50 bucks later ive had a fridge now that has worked flawlessly for over 4 years :)

Walt
----

Belly Buster Bob (131.137.245.199)
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://hbd.org/discus/messages/366/14392.html?1049138447
just want to take this oportunity to show off my fridge. Did I tell you I love my fridge???
This was a free fridge, I've found that fridges that are on thier last leg sound like they are. Not very scientific method but seems to work

Walt Fischer (24.221.196.114)
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 10:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You got that retro fridge for free?!

SweeeeeeTA!

Walt
----

Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2003 - 08:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How do you guys sanatize the TAD? It looks like you could just pour a sanitizer in through the spigot, and then swirl it around inside, but I'm not sure if theres a better way.

Greg Nolan (12.10.148.126)
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 01:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got a great chest feezer, very large, at the salvation army for $75. On your Tap O Draft don't screw it on to the bottle very tight as the lip may crack as mine did. I have also read several reviews of the handle breaking so be gentle. I like to refer to mine as the Piece-O-Crap system as It didn't last through the box of co2 it came with. I wish I would have put the 50-60 bucks in a good system.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.