Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * August 29, 2003 * Minute Rice and Flaked Corn < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Dan Grady (67.250.246.162)
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 11:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember someone saying that minute rice could be used instead of regular rice. If so, what proportions?

Can both be used in an infusion mash or do I have to do a step mash?

Mark Hansche (208.171.32.206)
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 11:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It seems people replace regular rice 1:1 with it. I think it's fine in a single step infusion mash. The same goes for flaked corn. They are both supposed to have the starch already gelatinized and available for conversion.

Dan Mourglea (67.30.198.206)
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 02:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Minute rice is pregelatinized due to the fact that it is actually cooked prior to dessication (the box even says pre-cooked) thats what makes it mintute rice--just throw it into the mash. Plain rice would need a cereal mash prior to mashing to gelatinize the starches--I have heard much talk on this post that cooking it prior to throwing it into the mash is fine too. As far as I know, no step mash required (I have used minute rice straight into a single infusion mash with good results). YMMV

Michael (24.88.129.183)
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan G., add the minute rice directly to mash. I made a bast*rdization of a "lawn-mower" lager a few months ago with ~7% of the bill minute rice, Wlp830, and Perle/Saaz hops.

Turned out really good. As a matter of fact, it is gone....time to brew some more for September dog days.

(Oh, yeah, I used an infusion mash...excellent clarity and high-end of attenuation I believe)

Todd Metcalf (129.42.208.186)
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 01:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a question on "cereal mash". What exactly is it? Is it just mashing all the grains (including base and adjuncts), but first at a lower temperature, then raising the mash to the normal 149-155 temperatures (ie step mash)

Also what is the normal temperature for the cereal mash?

Mark Hansche (208.147.234.226)
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A cereal mash is mashing the adjuncts, along with some base malt separate from the main mash. It's usually boiled after a sacc. rest, then added to the main mash. Here's a fuller explanation,

http://hbd.org/hbd/archive/4081.html#4081-14
(don't know the syntax to make that a link, but cut-n-paste it.)

Midwest Brewer (194.205.123.10)
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Put Minute Rice or Quick Grits right in the mash - no extra treatment. I've used both - in fact I made a cream ale using both last year with 32% of the grainbill being adjuncts. It was a bit of a long sparge but the beer was well received and went fast.

6-Row goes really well with them.

MWB

David Gretzinger (163.206.45.223)
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MWB,
For your cream ale with 6-row, do you do a single or step mash?

Todd Metcalf (129.42.208.140)
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 05:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Mark.

Midwest Brewer (194.205.123.10)
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 05:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I step mash it. I've never tried a single step because if I recall correctly, 6-row can be a bit haze prone if not given a protein rest. Plus it helps to break the adjuncts down some.

Another item to note is that Minute Rice and Quick Grits convert very well but your mash bed can compact a bit as there is no husk material there to help. Some rice hulls will help with the lauter.

MWB

Chuck Dickson (216.37.66.35)
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 05:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you use minute rice pound for pound like grain? Also what amount of sugars will come from one pound of minute rice?

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Minute Rice is pregelatinized and can be mashed with the rest of the grist. The extract potential I use is 1.039.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.