Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * August 27, 2003 * Can I use Goldings Hops(5.0) instead of Cascade Hops? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

ahren osterbrink (12.225.174.108)
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 10:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ssia

Hophead (167.4.1.38)
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 11:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not sure what ssia means.

You can sub them, but the flavor profile is VERY different. What kind of brew are you making?

David Woods (67.242.35.141)
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 12:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Use ANYTHING to get away from the grapefruitness of cascades! ;^)

Sorry guys, just not a fan of the "C" hops. By t he way, does that stand for "citrus"?

Don't get me wrong though, I LOVE hoppy beers, though. Maybe those beers where meant to drink in the morning with cereal(mashes).

David

ahren osterbrink (12.225.174.108)
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 12:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i'm brewing Flat Tyre... a fat tire clone i found in the cats meow.

ssia = "subject says it all"

Hophead (167.4.1.38)
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 12:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just what I need, another acronym in my life.

There's no cascades in fat tire.

Go with fuggles or willamette if you need to buy hops anyway, otherwise goldings is OK.

David, cascades,columbus,centennial,chinook all have their place. Cascades got overused in brewpubs over the years which may be turning you off. Try using cascade just as a dryhop in a pale sometime....

Bret Mayden (66.210.167.82)
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 01:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It seems to be politically correct lately to bash Cascades. Oh well. I hope my LHBS doesn't stop stocking them.

Brewtun (64.12.97.9)
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been bashing Cascades since before the term "politically correct" was coined. I just don't like anything about them; flavor or aroma. IMO the over use of Cascades is a major factor in the decline of microbreweries. Politics aside, I think every Cascades (and anything else that even resembles the flavor/aroma profile) rhizome on the planet should be dug up and burned. To answer Alan's question.....Please do!

Doug Pescatore (141.232.1.10)
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 04:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hophead is right about the hops for a flat tire clone. Go heavey on the flavoring with the willamette (I also dry hopped with willamette) and you will end up with a brew that is pretty darn tasty.

-Doug

Brandon Dachel (63.238.222.190)
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 04:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

> I just don't like anything about them; flavor
> or aroma.

Amen.

> Politics aside, I think every Cascades (and
> anything else that even resembles the
> flavor/aroma profile) rhizome on the planet
> should be dug up and burned

Just to be clear...you're against cascades, correct?

Hophead (167.4.1.38)
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used to be the same way about saaz as (some of) you are about cascades, but I've 'evolved' into liking them in pilsners atleast. I recall karl strauss brewpub in sandiego/lajolla, and it seemed like every beer there had saaz in it. Drove me nuts.

Brewtun, you're suggesting genecide. Definitely a politically incorrect idea... tsk, tsk (also, considering hops are weeds, good luck wiping them out).

PalerThanAle (65.168.73.62)
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 06:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A surefire way to wipe them off of this planet is to let me try and grow them. So far I've tried to grow (killed) 2 Santiam, 1 Liberty and 1 Golding ~ may they rest in peace.

PTA

davidw (209.107.44.126)
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Plant some Cascade PTA, they grow like weeds! Heh heh! You'll also be futhering the cause of spreading one of the most wonderful hops ever bred.

big earl (209.222.26.27)
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 08:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

mmm mmm I crave the Cascade

the "C" hops are possibly america's greatest gift to the brewing world,

so love-it or leave-it (you commie pinko cascade haters) ;~}

Brandon Dachel (63.238.222.190)
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

> the "C" hops are possibly america's greatest
> gift to the brewing world,

I thought *I* was.
:)

Kenny Reed (67.248.200.76)
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Out of six types I planted this spring, Cascade is the only one that did not take. Musta been dead from the git go. No great loss. I'm not particularly fond of them anyway. But I must admit, in (very) small amounts they do add a quenchyness (???) to some of my brews.

Doug E. Fresh (64.26.198.47)
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've read Centennial has the flavor of Cascades but without the grapefruit. Of course, you also get the high AA% that comes with it. It would be worth splitting a batch and dry-hopping one with Cascades and one with Centennial to see the true difference.

I gotta say though, my new favorite flavor/aroma hop is Santiam. I gotta get my LHBS to carry it but it looks like their supplier doesn't even have it (Crosby & Baker).

Steve Ruch (207.101.210.199)
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also think cascades is way over used in pale ale. BUT a couple of years ago I did a kitchen sink type of beer that turned out pretty close to a sweet stout that tasted really good with cascades.
I prefer amarillo for pale ale or noble hops.

davidw (209.107.44.126)
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 03:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cascade are THE American noble hop! ;)

big earl (209.222.26.27)
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 04:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

YES,

You cascade haters should go back to France or somthing

chumley (199.92.192.126)
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 04:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My garden produces a boatload of Cascades each year. I feel compelled to use them up, and quite frankly was getting burned out on them.

Then a few years ago, I began using them only for flavor and aroma, and using other hops for bittering. HUGE difference. I have used Nothern Brewer and Clusters for bittering, Cascades for all other additions, and just love the brews. I've got a Centennial/Cascades APA aging in the basement as we speak.

I would guess that Cascade haters also prefer oranges over grapefruits. If that describes you, then there is no hope for you. ;^)

Kurt Schweter (4.40.137.222)
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 05:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I'm going to kill my cascades -
looks to be a few pounds hanging on the vines -
still have most from last year -

Michael Ottgen (65.239.127.220)
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 08:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doug E. Fresh, if you really want some Santiam, go to Hopsdirect.com and get their clearance hops: Santiam and Olympic pellets for ~$3.00 per pound. I think you can also get 5#'s of Crystal pellets for about $12 if you're interested. Enjoy!

Doug E. Fresh (64.26.198.47)
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Michael, thanks for the info. This is what it looks like they've got at hopsdirect.com:

SANTIAM, 4.0% $3.00/LB + shipping
OLYMPIC, 11.0% $2.75/LB + shipping

I am going to give them a call and see what's still available. Next year I will plant some of my own.

Doug

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.