Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * August 29, 2003 * What to do with a yuk brew < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Please help....serious brew troubleJeff McClain08-11-03  02:37 pm
  Start New Thread        

scdill (24.164.73.192)
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I tried a new Porter recipe (Pale Porter from the Classic Beer Style Series). Somehow I botched it up and I wound up with a thin watery brew that is barely drinkable.

- I've tried letting it set for a while, didn't help, didn't really think it would, but it was worth a try.
- I've though about dumping it, but it isn't that bad.
- I've thought about inviting unsuspecting friends over and ..., but I'm not that bad.

About the only other thing I can think of, is to just stop whining about it and drink it.

Anybody have any comments on how they've made an almost undrinkable brew better?

Mike Vachow (216.170.179.140)
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brew another session beer and mix. A nice little bitter could be just the trick.

Mike
Lake Bluff, IL

Mike Mayer (152.163.252.67)
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 11:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have a party and use it to pre-boil the bratwurst in!

brewknob (12.247.255.93)
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 12:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

drink a 1 to 4 ratio one bad beer to 4 other beers. or mix it with other beer.

GREENPUS (214.3.17.38)
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I spray it on the lawn. It helps get rid of the thath.

Frank Mosca (208.244.152.158)
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 01:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Make lots of chili.

Gary Muehe (64.12.97.9)
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 02:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd make another , BIGGER, beer and blend them.
Gary

Jeff McClain (137.201.242.130)
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just out of curiosity, how did your ferment go? What was your OG and FG? Ferment temp? Are you carbonating the beer in bottles or keg? I've found that you can sort of help "bolster" the taste of a watery beer by bumping up the carbonation level just a little and run the refridgeration temp a little warm (warmer brings out more of the taste).

At least it worked with my low OG, high FG (grin) Fat Tire clone that had a pretty watery bland taste.

-Jeff

scdill (24.164.73.192)
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 07:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff, I like your idea of bumping the carbonation, unfortunately the brew is in bottles.

As per a couple of other suggestions above, I tried mixing with my current session brew, a Company #1 Red, definately makes the Porter more drinkable. Of course a definate negative effect on the red.

duane poettcker (64.114.238.1)
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 09:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it's only a 5 gallon batch, dump it.
If it's a 10 gallon batch, dump it anyway.
If you don't want to dump it, keep it around until you don't have enough bottles left for your next bottling session, then dump it.

It seems a lot of us feel this great responsibility to drink all the beer that we make, even if it's not really that good. What's the point?

If you don't like it, don't drink it.

Figure out what went wrong with it, learn from it, then go make more.

Jeff McClain (137.201.242.130)
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 02:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heheh...I still have some Weizen Extract that I brewed that I scorched the hell out of. It smelled bad while brewing it, it smelled bad while fermenting (but it DID ferment like gang busters) and it tasted bad (horrible, actually) during all SG checks. And I still racked the thing to a cleaned keg and am secondarying it now. I'm certain I'll pour it out, but...it is like cutting the strings on a kid gone bad with no hope of turning out. Grin.

-Jeff

Jim Keaveney (64.12.97.9)
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 06:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i'm with duane, tho as jeff says, guilty of hanging on to beer that just didnt cut it way to long before dumping.

Jeremy Schmit (128.111.119.13)
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 08:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Raspberry Wheat that I've been suffering through the same question with. Too watery, and too much priming sugar. However, I just discovered that it makes some damn good margaritas: equal parts beer, tequila and margarita mix. My beer has new life!

JT (24.169.131.212)
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 11:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's tons of food recipes that use beer as an ingredient. I say keep it and start cooking!!! It sure beats using BMC, and you can keep your good stuff for drinkin'.

RonJeremy4Pres (170.215.1.10)
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you put serrano (sp?) peppers in it you will have a decent chili beer. But a little goes a long way and time is a big factor, at least early on.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.