Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * August 29, 2003 * Champagne Bottles < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Frank Mosca (208.244.152.58)
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 08:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone ever bottle in Champagne bottles? If so, do you cork and cap? Where have you found the tools to do this?
Thanks,
Frank

Denny Conn (63.114.138.2)
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 08:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't but I have a friend who does frequently. He rents the corker from the LHBS.

Doug Pescatore (141.232.1.10)
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 09:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have thought about doing it, but using the plastic "corks" that you push in and then put the metal mash on to make sure it does not go flying off.

-Doug

Dave Aronoff (141.214.17.5)
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 10:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use champagne bottles with my bench capper. Not all Champagne bottles work, some are too wide. I just collect all I find, measure 'em at home and recycle the useless ones.

Dave

Greg Beron (66.47.129.204)
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 11:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Domestic bottles will cap with a standard bottle cap. Imported ones may require a larger cap.

Beertracker (68.12.51.22)
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 11:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm lucky that SWMBO loves Martinelli's™ Sparkling Cider. I buy the stuff by the cases & the labels are easy to remove. The bottles cap nicely w/ my bench capper, but they can also be corked using a straight #7 cork or a mushroom-style cork if so desired. I mainly use them for my "big" Belgian beers, but they're great for mead as well. CHEERS! Beertracker

Todd Metcalf (129.42.208.186)
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've used them before with the plastic cork and metal wire to secure the cork. Came out fine. I actually have a 8 year old porter I tried about a year ago. Tasted bland (because of age), but still was carbonated and still was beer. I only aged it that long because I forgot it at my folks place.

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just acquired some 375 ml champagne "splits" for bottling a pLambic. You don't need a corker for the plastic champagne stoppers. They can be inserted with a rubber mallet or with the heel of the hand (use a glove to avoid bruises). There is a tool for twisting the wires tightly but a screwdriver blade works nearly as well.

David Gretzinger (163.206.45.223)
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 03:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The tool I used in the past was used to tie twist ties at intersecting rebar as used in construction of concrete decks, pools, etc.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.