Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * August 29, 2003 * Rubbing compound to shine coverted kegs? yes/no < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Glenn W. Martin (129.42.208.172)
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 05:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it ever stops raining here in the Capital District area of New York State I would like to put a nice shine on my converted kegs. I've scrubbed them previously with Barkeeper's Friend and well, they look like they've been scrubbed. What I'd like to know is if anyone out there has tried rubbing compound on a buffer or anything else to get the kegs to really shine.
TIA for any input on this.

Vance Barnes (216.85.253.82)
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you a member of the "can't make good beer unless it's shiny club"? ;>) I know a few members of that club. My understanding of stainless is that it needs a layer of oxide to keep it from rusting. That's what the oxalic acid in BKF and Zud does. Whatever you do don't use steel wool(or any other iron/steel product)on stainless. It will cause rust where the non-stainless particles are left on the stainless. Can be fixed with more BKF though. Shine on.

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rubbing compound works on stainless. With a non-metallic buffing pad on a drill you can achieve a nearly mirror-like shine, although I must admit it seems like overkill to me.

Paul Edwards (199.46.200.230)
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 03:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BILL !!!!!

You've been missed, sir!

To stay on topic, I think buffing out some scratches, etc is a nice esthetic touch, but a mirror finish, while acheivable, is more work than necessary.

I've buffed a few things like bicycle forks prior to taking them to a chrome shop. Mucho work!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.