Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * August 29, 2003 * Crash Cool Bottles? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Oktoberfest RecipeJames Mayer08-13-03  12:48 pm
  Start New Thread        

Mike Huss (192.136.16.3)
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My latest batch (an ESB) is sitting carbonated in the bottles. Problem is I seem to have an exceptionally large amount of yeast still in suspension in the bottles. So much so that it is affecting the mouthfeel of the beer.

I've heard of crash cooling kegs of beer to drop the yeast out of suspension, but would it work in bottles? Or would doing that knock the carbonation out of the beer as well?

Doug Pescatore (141.232.1.10)
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike, Throw them in the fridge for a week or two and you will be fine. The yeast will drop. I would worry that if you had that much yeast floating around that you may have bottled a little early and may end up with gushers. If the yeast is still a little active a spell in the fridge will take care of that...

-Doug

Mike Huss (192.136.16.3)
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I actually don't know why there is that much yeast in the bottle. They were definitely done. In fact IIRC the FG was expected to be 1.013 but it actually finished at 1.010. I was suprised how low it finished and it didn't change in 3 days.

The suspended stuff in the beer was actually in the glass, I couldn't really tell how much was in the bottles since they are brown. I usually just pour everything from the bottle into the glass these days, but this time I tried to avoid getting the sediment in the glass so I could compare it more accurately to a commercial example. Maybe I've lost the touch and I transferred more sediment than I thought I did?

They are still sitting in the basement in cases, guess it's time to fill the fridge!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.