Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * September 2, 2003 * O Canada! < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 02:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to let people know where I have been for the past month, I have moved to Burlington, Ontario (near the west end of Lake Ontario) and have been trying to get settled in. The house (with my fiancée and her two kids) is not exactly brewing friendly but I should be able to do some 5 gallon batches eventually. I certainly will have the free time, as I have applied and must wait for the required visa to allow me to work legally (the bureaucracy grinds exceedingly slow). I will be online only intermittently for a while longer (we're taking a trip to Prince Edward Island next week), but I'm looking forward to the time off and getting acquainted with the new area. Loonies and toonies and back bacon, eh!

Richard Shaffer (64.35.155.194)
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 03:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome back Bill. Your absence was felt on this board by everyone that had a yeast starter question. Move to Canada, that's insane. You'll have to use their silly metric system now when you brew, although Imperial gals. aren't really a bad thing. Richard.

PalerThanAle (65.168.73.62)
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And getting used to the monopoly money... although you can now buy Cuban cigars and send them back to the states for those of us that can't get them...

Congrats and good luck on your furture nuptials.

PTA

davidw (209.107.44.126)
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good to have you back, Bill! And congratulations! Missed you at the Great Taste this year, but I sampled a few Belgians with you in mind.

Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 03:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm an advocate of the metric system (the math is a lot easier), but Canadians are still schizophrenic about measurements even after 30 years. The (expensive) gas is in litres (I'll use the Canadian spelling) and the distances in kilometers but people still give their height in feet and inches and their weight in pounds. You have to give them credit for trying. Some Americans still haven't forgiven Jimmy Carter for prodding them to use the metric system.

Paul Edwards (199.46.199.232)
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 03:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I still like "stones" and "furlongs" as in

Stones per Furlong per Fortnight

Glad to see you back, Bill.

Drew Avis (209.226.137.107)
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome to Canaborg, Bill. You will be assimilated. Don't worry, it doesn't hurt... much!

And if you're looking for a brew club & can't find one in Burlington, let me know and I'll send you info about the Members of Barleyment. We've got a few members in your neck of the woods.

DaveB (12.107.192.161)
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good to hear from you, Bill. Sounds like an exciting move!

My (American) sister lived in Canada for a while with her (Canadian) fiance, and then husband, and had to deal with the visa bureaucracy as well... what a hassle. She ended up working "under the table" for a while, and then they moved down here to the States where they're both in graduate school.

good luck and have a nice trip to PEI!

Walt Fischer (24.221.196.114)
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome back Mr. P!!
Hope the great white north works out fer ya!
Sure is pretty up there, thats for sure!

Walt
----

Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 10:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By the way, davidw, I was in Iowa last month for RAGBRAI. Our club had the pleasure of being joined by Paul Edwards of this board, who is as good a biker as he is a brewer, and his wife Connie. Paul brought a keg of his cream ale that was gone in very short order.

I sorely missed the Great Taste of the Midwest in Madison last weekend. I just couldn't justify another 11 hour drive each way to the Midwest.

davidw (209.107.44.126)
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't blame you, Bill, that's quite a drive for one day of sampling. A good time was had by all and there were many good beers, quite a few average beers, and a few excellent beers. I feel bad for the brewers that get put next to the likes of Kalamazoo and Three Floyds taps. There were lines there all day!

Regarding RAGBRAI, you had the pleasure of biking through my old stomping grounds where I grew up in south central Iowa. You may recall Mount Ayr, Osceola, and New Virginia? That brings back memories! I'd guess the hills seem a lot steeper when you are on a bike! Glad to hear you had a good time and good to have you back.

JT (24.169.131.212)
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 12:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Bill,
Did you move there because of your fiancee or to be closer to the "Winking Judge"?;) What are you, about 5 minutes away now? Good luck, and maybe we can have a beer the next time I pass through on my way to Toronto. You picked a nice area.

Michael (24.88.129.188)
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 03:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill, welcome back. You are a pillar of this board. Tell us the move wasn't because you are in the next Austin Powers (Mike Meyers) flick, or becoming a Rush/Celine groupie.

robert rulmyr (63.156.128.27)
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I made my house more brewer friendly by getting out of the kitchen and outside to the patio. I grew up in Minnesota, I can imagine how tough it would be to brew outside in the winter.

It might be tough to downsize from 10 gal to 5 gal batches too!

By the way, being a stepfather is very very difficult. Stepfathers never get any good press.
Congratulations to you.

Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 02:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

JT, I'm about 15 minutes from the Winking Judge in Hamilton, a little gem and one of North America's great beer bars. I'd be happy to join anyone there for a pint or two if they're up this way. I'm also an hour from Toronto, a world class city although sorely in need of a good full-service homebrew shop.

Cory R (131.104.220.101)
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 03:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

>sorely in need of a good full-service homebrew shop.

Ahmen. Hey Bill, I think your destiny is calling. Maybe you could work out of your basement for cash! That would skirt the whole bureaucracy issue. I'd be a regular customer.

Cory.
Guelph.

Martin Stutz (216.113.24.50)
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 04:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome to Canada, Bill. Next time I'm at the in-laws in Burlington I'll try to contact you to meet for a pint at the Judge (or at least the Pepperwood).

BTW Michael,
Most people I know HATE Celine. Personally, I cringe every time I hear her voice or worse, see her on TV ! She's probably more popular in the US than in most parts of Canada.

Rush, OTOH, is another thing. In Bill's neck of the woods they're god. But so is Molson Canadian, unfortunately.

Martin

John Rucinski (209.64.87.68)
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill, since you're now in Burlington, the REAL question becomes:

Leafs, Sabres, or Wings??

John

Dan Mourglea (152.30.23.37)
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also glad to see ya back Mr. Pierce! Gonna be brewing up your Belgian Golden recipe (along with Denny's RyeIPA) looking forward to trying it--btw, is there a white labs yeast that you would recommend as a substitute for the wyeast?

Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 06:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John, I was born in Detroit and played a little hockey on both sides of the border as part of my misspent youth. Gordie Howe was a childhood hero (I used to have a picture of me taken with him when I was about eight) so I suppose my sentiments are still with the Red Wings.

Dan, try culturing the yeast from a bottle of the Unibroue beers or use White Labs WLP570 (supposedly the Duvel strain).

Vance Barnes (216.85.253.82)
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 06:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill, Say hi to Mary Mary and Bill at the Winking Judge :>)

Bob B (24.86.151.215)
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 11:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill,

Welcome to Canada. As an expatriate American who just came back from a visit in the States, you will appreciate not having to deal with that all-green money. :-)

As for homebrew suppliers, check out the folks at PaddockWood in Saskatoon, SK (http://www.paddockwood.com). They may not have a fancy online ordering system like B3 and others but they have most of the product you need for homebrewing, are great to talk with and there is no need to deal with exchange rates and Canadian Customs.

You could also drive over to Buffalo and check out Niagara Tradition Homebrew. Of course, dealing with the Customs folks coming back with your WMDs (Wort Manufacturing Devices) is your challenge.

At least you can enjoy Alberta beef!

Cheers,

Bob

Belly Buster Bob (142.177.94.227)
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 12:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill:
welcome to Canada.
I am a big fan of Paddock Wood. Steve, the owner, is a pleasure to do business with and will help you out in any way possible.
Burlington is a nice area, you'll enjoy it there.

Bob McCouch (68.34.184.217)
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't imagine it's a big change... Everyone knows that Canada is really just one big combined suburb of Buffalo, Chicago, and Seattle.

If I ever become President, I was planning to annex the whole mess anyway, but we'll have to redraw some lines, cuz their states are too damn big! We'd have a whole bunch of new Texas' on our hands!

Hey, at least you can join the rest of the world and complain about "those crazy Americans and their warlord-dictator GW!"

Kidding aside, good to have you back. Sounds nice up there. I've been to the suburbs of Toronto a few times (Missisagua, but spelled correctly) and it's nice area up there.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.