Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * September 2, 2003 * How would you handle this. < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Ed Fleming (192.250.112.194)
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a friend that I brew with. I have all the equipment, we split the cost of the grains, and I give him half the brew when it's ready. I was over his house last night and asked him for the empty bottles so I could re-use them. He said "Oh I keep forgetting to save them, ha, ha". Well he's thrown out about three cases of bottles since the winter, and now I want teach him a lesson, I'll be bottling a porter in a couple of weeks. Should I put his half in plastic water bottles, or 2L soda bottles, or should I just bring him a case of Miller Lite cans, and tell him he can have the good stuff when he comes up with the bottles.
I'm leaning toward the cans of swill.
I like having people try my beers, and I don't expect somebody I give a sixer to, to save the bottles, but my brewing partner should know better by know.

cdb (67.75.33.222)
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Make him clean and delabel 2.5 cases of empties...that'll learn him!

-cdb

cdb (67.75.33.222)
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wait! make sure they're Sam Adams..those are a bitch to get the labels off of...

-cdb

Stephen Deutsch (64.73.36.192)
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd let him know bottles are hard to maintain, and teach him the proper care (triple rinsing with hot water immediately upon decanting, saving them etc.), and ask that he do so with the bottles the beer comes in. Tell him it has been bothering you that he hasn't taken care of them. If he's a friend he'll accept it and that will be that.

Doug Pescatore (141.232.1.10)
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 04:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ed,
I like the soda bottles idea. You won't be wasting your beer and you will be letting him know that until he gets his act together he will be getting beer that way. Does he help with the bottleing? I would not give him any unless he helps with the bottling. That is by far the biggest chore in the homebrew world. He should be soaking and cleaning bottle right there with you.

-Doug

big earl (209.222.26.27)
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 05:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

>>>"Should I put his half in plastic water bottles, or 2L soda bottles"

you shouldn't put his half in anything, HE SHOULD

on bottling day, have him bring over his own clean bottles and make him do his half himself

if he doesn't show up for bottling, give him his share in a carboy, and tell him bottle it on your own time...

Andrew Pearce (216.160.193.235)
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 05:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ed:
I like the dump the brewing partner idea entirely. More beer for you.

--Andrew

Walt Fischer (24.221.196.114)
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 05:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Certainly tell em if he wants beer, he'll have to come up with a container, or you will just keep his half..;>
Walt
----

PalerThanAle (65.168.73.62)
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 05:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let him know that part of his grain bill will be the cost of NEW bottles. You don't have this cost since you save yours and reuse them. It will take a few $24.00 hits until he starts "remembering". Or tell him to bring over his share of the bottles when bottling day comes - "no bottles, no beer". Simple as that. Don't lose a good brew partner (friend) over the cost of a few bottles, let him know what is needed for his share to make it to him.

PTA

Chuck Dickson (216.37.66.35)
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When it comes time to for you guys to bottle again, I would tell him he will have to come up with whatever he wants to put his beer in.

Jeff McClain (137.201.242.130)
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When he comes over to either bottle (if he even does that) or get HIS half of the beer, just say, "Oh, I keep forgetting to save it for you...ha, ha".

-Jeff

Jim Smith (205.245.188.201)
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 05:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bottling really sucks anyway so I'd have him come over and help after you had him delabel and clean the Sam Adams bottles. Then, sit back and relax while he cleans up the mess. The word partners should mean equal. It sounds like your doing most of the work and he's taking most of the profit.

Mike Kessenich (165.189.92.23)
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If he doesn't take responsibility or change his ways, he's abusing your friendship and not worth calling a friend!

Bill Dutton (192.223.226.6)
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 09:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If he really is your friend go easy on him. Just make him clean 2 cases of bottles and explain that he can rinse the old bottles and store them until you are ready to re-use.

Bill Aimonetti (143.183.121.1)
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 11:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since you are out of bottles, your friend will have to buy you a kegging system so you can fill him growlers whenever he needs fresh beer.

Brewzz (172.166.148.232)
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 01:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I HAD a brew partner like that...I had him get his own carboy and he would take his half home to watch it ferment. Bottling was up to him.It worked pretty well, altough he and I don't brew much together since he Borrowed my gas generator
4 months ago...Hmmmm I guess I need to call him?
Brewzz

don price (65.32.41.81)
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 01:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Make him buy new bottles (filled with your choice of brew) and clean them. You gotta be rich (and/or tough) if yer gonna be stupid.

Don

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.