Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * September 2, 2003 * Old recipe - kinda interesting < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

John McGrann (66.216.133.102)
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 04:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know if any of you will find this interesting, but my mom was cleaning out some old papers and stuff from my great-grandfather and came across an old beer recipe. If I had to guess, I'd say it's from the 1930's-40's, although I guess it could be from the prohibition era, too. The note paper it's written on is from the Rolling Rock Club, in Laughlintown, PA. That appears to be about 5 miles from Latrobe, modern home of Rolling Rock beer, although I have no idea if there is any connection. Anyhoo, here's the recipe:

"Recipe for beer

Boil 2-1/2 or 3 ounces of hops for 20 minutes in 2 gallons of water and strain into a 6 gallon crock, then add 2 tablespoons of sugar and 2-1/2 pounds of malt and 2 teaspoons of salt then add 3 gallons of boiling water as soon as it cools off to 70 degrees or blood warm add one cake of Fleischmans yeast mixed with a spoonful of sugar let the yeast ferment before adding it to the brew let it then stand for 3 days and bottle off and keep in a cellar for 7 days when it will be ready."

I guess I'm not the first homebrewer in the family, although I certainly hope mine tastes better than his!

Jim Smith (205.245.188.201)
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John,

I think the old recipes are very interesting especially from a historical point of view. It doesn't look like there are many ingredients in the recipe so it wouldn't be expensive to give it a try. What the heck. I can't imagine it being any good but you never know. As far as the recipe itself With the old logo on the note paper it would probably look good framed over your bar.

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 05:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The standard recipe for 1930s-1950s homebrew was one can hopped LME and 5 lbs. of table sugar, boiled with a couple gallons of water for 15 minutes, cooled, topped off with cold water to 5 gallons and a couple of packets or a cake of bread yeast pitched. It was fermented in a stone crock at about 70 F for a week and then bottled with a teaspoon of sugar added to each bottle. It was drinkable but a far cry from what we can brew today.

PalerThanAle (65.168.73.62)
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 05:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What do you suppose the salt was good for in the boil kettle? I know my dad used to put some in his GrainBelt but that was in the glass (shudder)

PTA

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.