Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * September 2, 2003 * You Bastidges!!! < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

grant curtis (216.249.82.99)
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 04:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, so I read this forum and think I want to brew. I do, and with all of your help, it comes out good. So I brew again, and again, and again. Rinse, repeat.

Now I have gone out and purchased a chest freezer and starting THAT conversion.

The Question:

Should I collar or should I tower in the top?

Drawback against collar: Effeciency and stability.
Drawback against tower: Cost and lifting the lid.

Pluses to both: I drink more with more cold beer and start to lager.

What is a young man to do?

Now I just need a 10 Gal kettle...

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A properly built collar for a freezer should not be unstable. There is no need to drill holes in the freezer and it easily can be returned to its normal purpose if you ever wish.

Bob McCouch (68.34.184.217)
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 04:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Personally, if I were doing a chest freezer, I would either use a collar to mount the faucets, or if I really wanted a tower, use a collar to provide an exit for beer lines and install the tower in my home bar (which I haven't built yet).

I have a small upright dorm fridge that holds 2 cornies perfectly. I have a tower on top of that because it doesn't interfere with opening. A friend of mine set up a small chest freezer with the lines coming out the lid to feed an external tower, and it was always a pain to raise/lower the lid because you had to get the lines in the right position.

I think your concerns about stability and efficiency can be resolved. Use good weather stripping all around the collar, and look at the way others have constructed them on the web. Some guys have done VERY sturdy, solid looking designs.

Now if I could just find a Saturday where it's under 90F, less that 85% RH, and it isn't raining... :-(

Brandon Dachel (208.40.48.11)
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I built a collar about 3 months ago. I'm very happy I did. And as Bill said, it's not unstable at all.

grant curtis (216.249.82.99)
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the input, looks like it is time to start building a collar. I'll have to do some research to see what other have done......

Ah, another project.

Bob, I feel for ya. It was 98 at my house yesterday and humid. Brewing was out of the question.....so I went to the track and bet the ponies instead! Heck, paid for the freezer in the fifth!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.