Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * September 2, 2003 * Ooops - turned the freezer off. < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Beerboy (81.134.85.22)
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 09:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In typical absent minded fashion I accidentally turned my freezer off in which I was fermenting some lager. It was a 1.054 CAP and I had pitched 2 packets of Saflager in 23l of wort. It had been happily fermenting at 50ºF for 5 days and when I checked it 4 days later it was at about 60-65 ºF and all but fermented out. I'm letting it sit at this temperature for a day or so for a diacetyl rest and then I'll rack it to a secondary before reducing the temperature for lagering.

I'm hoping that the initial cool ferment has used up most of the fermentable and as it warmed up (slowly I hope) not to many esters and fusels were formed.

Obvoiusly I can taste it when I rack to secondary but I wondered if any similarly halfwitted brewers out there had done this and what was the outcome.

Doug Pescatore (141.232.1.10)
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 03:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

beerboy,
I am willing to bet that you are going to end up with a very slightly fruity lager. DCL's web sites states that you can ferment this yeast at ale temps and the guy at my home LHBS store sells a pilsner kit with this yeast and tells people it is okay to ferment at ale temps. Plus, you were probably way more than 50% complete when it started to warm up so there would be less off flavors thrown by a warm ferment. I would just let this one lager an extra month or so.

-Doug

Beerboy (81.134.85.22)
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cheers Doug, that is what I'm hoping. I'll taste it when i rack and lager for longer.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.