|Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 06:21 pm: ||
This post didn't show the first time so I'm trying it again.
Thanks to everyone who helped my on my way to AG.
Just finished my first all-grain brewing day using my new set-up. And true to form I had all kinds of problems that I couldn't forsee. I was using 19lbs of grain in a 54 quart cooler. I Overshot my dough-in, instead of adding 6 gallons of water, I added 7 gallons (realized that I have to slowly add the water from the HLT since it takes a few moments for the sight gauge to catch up to the water level). Yet I still hit my temp spot-on at 152 degrees and pH 0f 5.5, but this damn near filled my cooler to the brim. Collected 4.4 gallons after the first sparge so I figured I would need another 7.5 gallons of 174 degree water to complete my second batch sparge. Too bad the cooler would only hold 6.5 gallons after the grain had swelled and the temp after adding (actually overflowing the cooler) was 155 degrees. I ended up collecting about 11 gallons of wort in my kettle after the second batch sparge. Boiled for 60mins and didn't realize that I was losing 1.5 gallons to the kettle dead space. All in all, I ended up with 8 gallons of wort going to my fermenter when I wanted 10 gallons, but here is where the real joy of the day came. I took my final gravity reading before adding the yeast and got 1.055.....87% efficiency!!
Jeff McClain (184.108.40.206)
|Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 09:01 pm: ||
Congrats, Chuck. Sounds like you already have some ideas about how to fix the next brew. In my book, that is the ultimate success!
Doug Pescatore (220.127.116.11)
|Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 09:42 pm: ||
Chuck, IMHO you had no problems with your first AG batch. Over/under shoot with temps and gravities, spillage, misjudge valumes, and the occassional 3 degree burn are part of the brewing experience.