Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * September 6, 2003 * Homebrew for the masses results < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

chumley (199.92.192.126)
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got back from vacation Monday after spending a week at Flathead Lake, Glacier, and Yellowstone. Temperature was in the 90s all week. Spent it with 20 friends whom I used to work with in Pennsylvania back in the 1980s. I took two kegs of homebrew up: a wit for the women, and a 1.065, 76 IBU Czech pils.

The women would drink a glass of the wit, say how wonderful it is, then be done. The men would drink a glass of the wit, say it was good, then drink the pils all night long.

Net result: I still have half a keg of wit, but the pils keg was killed in two nights.

Moral of this story: Moderate alcohol, highly hopped but dry beer IS lawnmower beer. Brew what you like, odds are your friends will like it too. Time to go into high pilsner production mode.

davidw (209.107.44.126)
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 05:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stock up on the Moravian malt while you still can!

Richard Shaffer (64.35.155.194)
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 05:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Moravian really better than say Durst Pils. Can than taste difference be differentiated. Richard.

big earl (209.222.26.27)
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 05:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree, brew what you like

my friends even like some of my beers better than I do (your always your toughest critic)

chumley (199.92.192.126)
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 05:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have brewed with both, and yes, Moravian pils malt is better than Durst pils (though I prefer Durst munich to Moravian munich)

Also, stock up on Zatec hops as well!

danno (209.180.170.25)
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 06:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FresHops has the Zatec Saaz although I have not tried themin one of my beers yet (I still have 1/4 pound of the St Pats left). I did taste a pilsner made with the FresHops version that tasted as good as the pils made with the St Pats ones. Dave at FresHops confirmed that his Saaz ops are from the Czech Rep.

I have not brewed with the Durst malt. Dingemans mkes a good pils malt as does Weyermann.

I call my highly hopped Czech pils a NW Pils and you're right Chumley, they are fantastic and enjoyed by everyone. I highly recommend that people make one. The key is the real spicy Zatec Saaz hops though. Not the Saaz from Joe-LHBS.

Doug E. Fresh (64.26.193.242)
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 07:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Funny how people who swear they don't like "heavy" or "bitter" beer love homebrew. Two cases in point: my next door neighbor and my brother.

The next door neighbor swears she isn't into beer but tries my porter anyway. We kill 3 gallons between 4 people in one night. She now loves Porter. So, on another occasion she tries my Apricot Wheat. We kill 3 gallons between 4 people in one night. She now loves Apricot Wheat. The next week I get a call: "I am buying homebrew equipment can you come over and show me how to brew this weekend?".

My brother says he won't drink anything "heavier" than Corona. So, I bring a 65 IBU IPA and 91 IBU IPA to his place and he tries both somewhat reluctantly. He loves the 65 IBU and likes the 91 IBU IPAs. Now he wants me to take him on a brewpub tour in Portland ME to try IPAs.

Just spreadin' the good word ...

"No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
"No, not the IPA! Anything but the IPA!"

davidw (209.107.44.126)
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 07:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Bring out . . . . the COMFEE PORTER!"

"Where did everybody go? Cardinal Fang?"

Jim Keaveney (205.188.208.73)
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 07:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We had our anual summer bash on saturday and went thru about 30 gallons of homebrew. there were a handful of beer geeks in the crowd but mostly mass-produced swillers. The downed kegs were as follows:

-belgian single blonde summer ale (5% abv)
-her bigger sister (7% abv)
-eagles pale ale (5% brewed with all chinook)
-boktoberfest (the only lager on board 7%)
-gound rule dubbel (9.6%)
-bubba stout (5%, about 3 gallons gone)

also went thru approx 2 gallons of barleywine which was not "really" on tap (it was inside the chest freezer with a picnic tap for a special sampling but i am quite sure there were some addtional samples taken when i was not looking - ungrateful sob's) if you make it, they will come. i only saw a couple of guests who brought their own coors light. the ladies in particular loved the belgian blondes. i dont think they even noticed when i put the stronger one on, once the first keg kicked.

supplies low, must brew.

Magnus Graham (148.177.161.211)
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have my big test this weekend. The test in question is 3 mates coming for the England v South Africa Cricket Test day 3 at Headingley. During the day large quantities of expensive megaswill Tetley (on aerosol) will no doubt be imbibed. You never know, there may even be a result.
I have good supplies at home for before and after.
Dark brown beer (10litres - chocolatey),
Brown beer (10litres - Cascade hops and my dad loved it - you don't Cs much here),
Yellow beer (15litres - Clearest beer yet),
Brown beer (20litres - it was a rush to have it ready in time).
These quantities will not survive if there is a vote in favour and I will be glad if I am out of beer by the end of the weekend??
I really like the yellow stuff followed by the stout and then the cascade (I have sampled this too much).

I guess it's for the best as I will move house soon and don't want to be lugging full kegs about.

Mag

Beerboy (81.134.85.22)
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 12:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

South Africa are in a spot of trouble Magnus - It may not last till Saturday!

Magnus Graham (148.177.161.211)
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In that case, the beer will never last.

Mag

I'll be the one in the kilt.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.