Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * September 6, 2003 * Beer in South Africa? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Aric Datesman (66.92.234.8)
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 07:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings all,

I'll be leaving for vacation on Friday and was wondering if anyone here knows of any notable potables in South Africa. Anything in particular to keep an eye out for, beer or otherwise? We'll be travelling across the country over a bit more than 2 weeks, so locality doesn't matter. I'm particulaly interested in traditional drinks, if you happen to know of any.

Thanks!
-aric.

Walter Price (63.237.43.6)
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aric,
My daughter has lived in Cape Town for three years
She came home for a visit and brought me 9 different beers - 5 were made by Miller and all were BMC mega swill.
Many good wines there.
Walt

Aric Datesman (66.92.234.8)
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Walt,

I was afraid of that. The tour book said all the beer was uninteresting lager. Apparently there are more traditional beers made there using sorghum instead of barley, so I'll report back if I find anything (which is likely, since we just booked a short tour of a Zulu villiage that includes a sample of their traditional beer).

-aric.

David Stobb (24.130.85.85)
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There actually are a few better local beers in Cape Town. I can't remember the name of the area, but there is a big shopping/entertainment district at the waterfront that has an aquarium, maritime museum, and just tons of shops. There are two brewpub type places right next to each other. One place serves Ferryman's beer and the other Mitchell's. I'm not sure of the exact names on the buildings, but it's hard to miss them while walking around. They are a welcome improvement to SAB products. There is also a local beer called Boston Lager that is on tap a few (very few) places. I'll see if I can dig up any more definite location information.

Also, if you're in Johannesburg, the SAB brewing museum has an enjoyable tour. They let you sample some sorghum beer and have an interesting puppet show about beer. Kind of weird but funny.

Hope that helps.
- Dave

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.