Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * September 29, 2003 * Just popped a 2000 celebration ale < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

jim williams (68.0.215.65)
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got a few left. this has definitely held up well. It's been about 50deg the whole time. mellowed quite a bit. hops are pretty subdued. lots more malt character. good beer.

Cheers!

Hophead (171.75.3.169)
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 05:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I usually save a few from the prior year, but 3 years? No way. You have great patience and willpower...

matt_dinges (67.31.177.203)
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 07:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mine go back as far as 2000 as well, but its been at least a year since I've drank one...sounds like a good idea

Mike Vachow (216.170.179.169)
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 10:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've gotta admit that this is one of those "no accounting for taste" issues for me. For my tastes, a Bigfoot older than one year is not worth having. A three-year old Celebration would totally bum me out. All of those sherry flavors old beer fans enjoy taste like cidery cardboard to me. Conversely, I love smoked beers but have plenty of beer geek friends who wouldn't let a rauchbier pass the lips.

Mike
Lake Bluff, IL

Tom Gardner (152.163.252.67)
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 03:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We're lucky to keep them for 3 months. Time to make another clone batch.

Mike Huss (192.136.16.3)
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just can't fathom such a concept. Left over saved SNCA? Huh....You have far better willpower than I do!

Actually my wife drank the last one of last years batch. I almost cried.

matt_dinges (65.221.169.187)
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 05:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I sure wouldn't age the celebration...and so far I tend to agree that I like the fresh BF better, but the aged stuff ain't bad, plus what better excuse to drink 3-4BF than doing a "vertical tasting"!

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tend to agree with Mike; oxidized flavors are not desirable in most beers, though I do occasionally enjoy the sherry notes in an old Thomas Hardy. I maintain that some beers benefit from aging. SSoS, for example, tastes best to me after about six weeks and Bigfoot is more well balanced after a year in my opinion. But three-year-old SNCA would be well past its prime.

jim williams (68.0.215.65)
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 07:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hmm. well, I buy a couple cases of this amazing beer every year. yep. I drink em fresh and love them. yep, I put a few away, more out of curiosity than anything else. this was hardly an aging experiment. rather, the fact that I still had a few lingering in my basement. and, yep, it held up well! tasted great, and just finished another!

matt_dinges (67.31.168.235)
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I just realized that this thread was about Celebration and not bigfoot...I don't let the celebration last past Feb!...oh well...Bill, I sure wouldn't call 6weeks "aging"!! Anymore than I considered Budweiser "aged" as they claim...Cellaring big beers is sometimes worth it though, IMO...

vigfoot (66.159.177.168)
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ah, celebration- my favorite beer.

i drank a 1999 on the 4th of july 2003. very disappointing, as the reason i love the stuff- all those hops- was (of course) gone.

believe it or not, i bought a case of 2002 a mere 3 weeks ago. it was bottled last nov. and was still to my liking, although it made me long for some FRESH stuff. it's only 8 weeks away!

Mike Huss (192.136.16.3)
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 12:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was in the local liquor store last night, and they had some 2002 SNCA on the shelf that the distributor found in his warehouse. They also had this years Bigfoot. I bought the Bigfoot because I knew it would still be good, but what about the SNCA? I'd hate to buy it expecting that blast of flavors that I've grown accustomed to and have it be mellowed out on me, but it's probably less than a year old, so it still should be full of flavor yet, shouldn't it?

Posted on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 01:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think you'll find 2002 SNCA to still be very drinkable but lacking the blast of hop aroma that characterizes this beer when it is fresh.

Mike Huss (192.136.16.3)
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's what I was afraid of, but heck, it's only $6.99/six, maybe I'll do a taste test to see how it mellows and to hold me over till this year's comes out. The kicker of the deal was the Bigfoot was also only $6.99/six. IIRC it was about $9 or $10 when it came out earlier in the year.

vigfoot (69.0.25.43)
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 03:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

mike h- buy it! the nose is nearly gone and the malt has a bigger presence, but it's still easily drinkable. it doesn't have that undrinkable sherry-like thing going on and still gives that nice 6.8% buzz!

btw, the guy charged me $20/case. ;>)

that's a nice deal on the bigfoot- buy all you can afford. it holds up well.

where do you live?

Mike Huss (192.136.16.3)
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

$20/case? That's even better! It's all good though, $7/six is still cheap for such a wonderful beer.

I'm in Eastern Wisconsin, 1/2 hr south of Green Bay.

Posted on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike H, you're within spitting distance of Chilton across the lake. Have you ever been over to Briess Malting or to Rowland's Calumet Brewing, one of the more interesting small town brewpubs I've visited?

Mike Huss (192.136.16.3)
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 07:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, I'm even closer than spitting distance, as I live about a mile or two off the NE corner of the lake. I can be in Chilton in about 20 minutes.

I've been thorough Chilton about a million times on our way to the Kettles for camping and MTBing, but I've never stopped in Rowland's. I've had his beers bought from the liquor store and unfortunately they were pretty uninspiring. I should stop in and try something fresh sometime though.

I called Briess one time trying to buy direct, but no dice :(. They have tours, don't they? That would be cool to do, just haven't done it. It's pretty wild to think one of the bigger malting companies is here in little ol' Chilton.

Speaking of malting companies, Bill you've got the "pulse" of the industry, I was wondering what the deal was with our other in-state malting company Schreier changing names? Did they get bought out?

Posted on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike, we're getting off topic here, but I thought Rowland's was interesting. Bob Rowland's a bit of a character; he serves nothing but his own beer and isn't shy about telling people they can go on up the street if it's not to their liking. I wasn't wildly ecstatic about the beer but it certainly has its fans and I have to give Bob credit for doing it his own way. It's definitely worth a stop since you're so close.

Schreier Malting was bought by Cargill a few years ago. As far as I know, they still maintain operations in Sheboygan. It's part of the trend of consolidation in agribusiness (and business in general), joined by Great Western (owned by ConAgra) and other American maltsters that are either subsidiaries of or closely allied with the major brewers.

That leaves Briess as the only independent American malting operation. Still family-owned (Roger Briess, grandson of the German founder, died in 2001), I found them to be friendly folks with Midwestern values. I bet if you called and said you were a homebrewer who lived in the area and wanted to stop by and see their operation they would be very glad to give you a tour. I know I enjoyed it a lot.

Doug J (67.200.25.77)
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 09:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Getting somewhat back on topic, I found a case of Dogfish Head's 2000 Raison D'Etre in my cellar just last week. I'm enjoying one right now, it tastes mighty fine to me. This makes me wish I had started doing tasting notes so that I could compare it with when it was fresh.

Anyway, anyone have any interesting brews they want to trade for some 2000 R d'E?

Mike Huss (192.136.16.3)
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the news Bill, I appreciate it. I'll make sure to check out Rowlands when I get a chance.

Back to the topic at hand, I had two of the 2002 SNCA's yesterday and they were excellent! I was suprised how good they still were. Plus I had one of the Bigfoot's too, which was just outstanding as usual.

I stopped Friday after work to pick up some of the SNCA and another Bigfoot six, I got the last SNCA and there was only one Bigfoot left after I got my second one. This was after I saw about a half dozen six packs sitting there Thursday night. PTA, did you beat me there?

PalerThanAle (65.168.73.62)
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hehe.... I thought I got them all. dang. :)

PTA

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.