Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * September 29, 2003 * DC's Rye IPA < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Jeff McClain (206.207.77.117)
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Denny, I'm planning to brew your Rye IPA next weekend (Hoody is brewing Skotrats' B52 so we can split the batches). Only thing is the LHBS only carries WYeast. Think it will turn out OK to use WYeast 1056 in that, or would you recommend something else? I'm nervous as all heck about the IBU's on this baby (hope I like it...grin). What is the closest thing you can think of that I might try comercially, just to double check?

Thanks,

-Jeff

chumley (63.227.172.227)
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 09:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff, if you look at Denny's recipe, you'll see he recommends 1272 American Ale II as a substitute when the Brewtek yeast is unavailable.

tranquil_liza (68.42.12.17)
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 12:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i want to brew that beer, also. my LHBS doesn't carry rye in grain form...only flaked. i shouldn't use flaked rye.....should i??

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's nothing wrong with using flaked rye. Some people say the flavor is a little more restrained than with rye malt, so you might increase the percentage a little. Remember that flaked ingredients can result in a stuck mash; I recommend adding some rice hulls to the grist.

Hophead (171.75.3.129)
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 02:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Liza, I prefer the flaked myself and would use the same amount as is listed for the rye malt.

Jeff, Hop Rod Rye (bear republic).

Belly Buster Bob (142.177.105.232)
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 12:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just looked over the recipe and think I'll try this one next. May have a problem getting the hops, won't do it the injustice of brewing unless I have everything. I want to tatse what everyone is yackin about.

Jeff McClain (206.207.77.117)
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 04:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Hophead. I've got all the ingrediants and am going to try Wyeast 1056 in it. Man, this is an expensive beer to brew at that OG and my 62% efficiency, plus almost 11 oz of whole hops. Cost me about $55 for yeast, 33.50 lbs of grain, and the hops...

-Jeff

Hoody (172.195.142.110)
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 04:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff, If you want, you can always save the 1056 for another brew. I'm sure we'll be brewin' soon anyway. Let me know and I'll pick it for you when I pick up my grain bill.

-Jason.

Denny Conn (63.114.138.2)
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff, both 1056 and 1272 work OK for the Rye IPA. Neither one has quite the malty finish that the CL50 gives it, but you'll be in the ballpark.

Jeff McClain (137.201.242.130)
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Denny. I'll try the 1056 and see how it goes. MMMMM...those hops sure smell good in my beer fridge. I can hardly wait to brew this. It is REALLY going to push my systems mash capacity to the limit, though, since this will be the highest gravity beer I've done, and I've finally just bit the bullet and used 62% eff as my brew house setting so I can finally hit my OG's. That meant, though, that for an AG batch, I ended up with 33.5 lbs of grain, and that is pushing 14 gallons for my mash volume at 1.3 qts/lb...grin. should be fun, at any rate.

Cheers,

-Jeff

Chuck Denofrio (205.188.208.73)
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 06:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff, How about a second batch sparge for a small beer? You might get 4-5 gals around 1.030, if not dump in some DME and lighten up on the hops. It's your sugar, might as well use it.

Hoody (172.195.249.162)
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 12:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like that idea Jeff. Good way to get a second beer out of it. Will those grains be ok for a generic ale or do you try and use DME to make it a just a weaker rye?

-Jason.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.