Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * October 5, 2003 * Black Cider? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

David Woods (63.95.170.150)
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have read in a couple of websites about black cider...
http://www.alcoholreviews.com/BEERS/maeves.html

All I know is that the cider is boiled...but for how long?

Anybody ever try any, or better yet, know how to make it?

It was described tasting like a cider mixed with a stout! Sounds good to me!

David

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 09:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I couldn't get the link to work (perhaps it was down), but one thing I can think of is that boiling cider would set pectins in the apple juice and cause haze. Of course no one would likely notice this in something as dark as a stout.

I have trouble thinking of mixing Guinness and cider but perhaps the Brits or Irish have tried this combination and liked it. A name like "rotten apple" comes to mind.

David Woods (67.242.51.224)
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 01:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have found out it is made by The Boston Beer Co.
Has anyone near Boston ever tried this?

David

Andrew Pearce (216.160.193.235)
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 01:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A local brewpub serves a drink that layers their house stout with Ace Pear cider. It is surprisingly drinkable.
--Andrew

Doug E. Fresh (24.34.218.33)
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 02:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guiness and hard cider (like Woodchuck) made like a black & tan is very very good. I've ordered it in pubs in Boston and here it's called a "Black Velvet". I have been very very drunk on these at the Black Rose and they are highly recommended. Very tasty.

Dan Mossman (171.75.169.99)
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 05:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Doug...
The Black Rose is a nice place- really good food. I wish I had known that these were on the menu because I have only had what was on tap. Thanks for the heads up! Nice atmosphere for a live band...

---Brew it up!
-Dan

Myles Liam (168.187.1.11)
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doug,

Guinness and Cider is a commonly referred to as a "Black Velvet" however I've been told that a true Black Velvet is Guinness floated on Champaign and that Guinness and Cider is a "Snakebite". Regardless it is a very tasty drink!

Doug E. Fresh (64.26.194.226)
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 04:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They're not actually on the menu. I just asked for one (well, more than one).

Jake Isaacs (128.163.110.72)
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 05:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, I've heard a mix of Harp and cider referred to as a snakebite (along with the similar Bassbite). Both are pretty tasty.

cdb (67.75.30.99)
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 06:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yup....it's a snakebite in Bermuda

-cdb

Denny Conn (140.211.82.4)
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 06:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BBC doesn't list anything like that on their website that I could find...

big earl (209.222.26.27)
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 08:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i've heard of a "snakebite" being chilled Yukon Jack with lime juice

Nate Poell (63.191.105.7)
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 09:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here in Lawrence, KS, a "Black Velvet" is Free State's oatmeal stout mixed with lemonade.

David Woods (67.242.51.231)
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 01:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I take it by these comments that no one else has heard of Black Cider either.

So tonight I attempted an experiment with one gallon of cider. I boiled it for 45 minutes with a cup of honey. Didn't take an OG, too small to waste that much fermentables. If anyone cares, I will post the results later.

David

Greg Nolan (12.10.148.126)
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you purchase store bought cider that has been pasturized, skip the boiling; it already happened. Just pitch your yeast and your off and runnin.

Mike Kidulich (147.177.13.153)
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've also seen a Snakebite made with Yukon Jack topped with Rumpleminze (100 proof peppermint schnapps). Truly a vile drink.

We have a guy in our brew club that loves cider, and especially blending cider with beers. Guinness and cider is a big favorite of his.

David Woods (67.242.100.163)
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 12:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greg,
The reason for the boil is to carmalize some of the sugars and darken the cider, hence the name.

It wasn't as dark as I wanted it to get, more like very cloudy bass as it entered the primary.

David

David Woods (67.242.51.38)
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 01:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By the way, does anyone know the potential SG of cider?

Funny how Promash list it and perry as an option, but do not list their potential fermentables.

Thanks again,
David

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The specific gravity of apple juice varies but 1.050 is a good ballpark figure. Of course it's mostly water with not a lot of sugar. I use 1.005 as the extract potential in terms of points per pound per gallon. For calculations assume that a gallon weighs 8.75 lbs.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.