Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * October 5, 2003 * Boil kettle filtering < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Hoody (172.199.222.137)
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 04:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was just wondering what you all use to filter out the hops before you chill and send your wort to the carboy. Currently I am using a FB and today I had tons of problems with the whole hops somehow making there way past and clogging my ball valve.

Are you using a bazooka screen, FB, or both?
For those using a FB do you reccomend using hop bags or something else?

What I am getting at is that I don't want to get another clog and I need to fix it.

-Jason.

Dave Witt (205.188.208.73)
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use a Bazooka. Works great, although you will lose a little more wort than on a FB/siphon setup.

Chuck Denofrio (64.12.97.9)
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I imersion cool in the kettle. Every things drops out. The kettle drain is 1/2" with no screen. I dump into a nylon bag to catch the strays.
One thing I am going to try is using an adjustable
racking tube on the kettle. Point it up to start and this should buy you time for it to settle.
Or bag your hops.

Jim Layton (67.202.29.156)
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 02:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The best way to rig your boil kettle will depend on kettle geometry, whole vs. pellet hops, and good old personal preference.

My boil kettle is a converted Sanke keg. All hops are loose in the boil.

For whole hops, I mount a 9 inch diameter perforated stainless sheet "false bottom" that is held down by a copper siphon tube. Whole hops don't stand a chance of getting under it. The hops seem to do an adequate job of filtering the break material but they don't catch it all by any means.

For pellet hops, I mount a short siphon tube that sticks out about two inches from from the wall of the kettle and points down. It sucks in some pellet gunk with the first 3-4 ounces of wort (my hydrometer sample) but runs clear after that. It leaves about a gallon of wort and sludge in the kettle. It seems wasteful but this rig gives me the clearest runoff of any method I've tried.

The perfect gizmo would waste no wort, never clog, and allow only crystal clear wort to pass through. I haven't seen that gizmmo yet. One of these days I'll try a Bazooka screen and see how I like that.

waddler (142.161.183.236)
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 02:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hoody, I once had the same problem and found out that the false bottom was sliding up the dip tube from the force of the boil. I put a stainless worm clamp on the dip tube to keep the false bottom down and I haven't had a problem since.

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 03:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As many people know, I use hop bags for boiling with pellets, and a copper scrubbie fitted over inside of the kettle outlet. Women's knee high sheer hose make inexpensive hop bags. Whole hops are less of a problem in terms of clogging the kettle outlet but not all varieties are available in this form. The hop bags are a simple solution.

danno (207.225.86.219)
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 04:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hoody, follow Waddlers' advice. It has worked great for me for 5 years. The only use of hop pellets that I avoid are 100% hop pellets. I always try to have at least one once of whole hops in my brew. The settle out first and then filter the pellets. That includes usng a pump to pump the wort through my CFC. I don't even bother to wait for the hops to settle. Draining the kettle will bring them down to set the filter bed very nicely.

don price (65.32.41.226)
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use a converted barrel-looking 15 gallon keg for a boil kettle. I use the stainless-steel mesh cover from a 3/4" x 18" water heater hose for hop filtration. A screw-clamp holds in onto a copper elbow which fits into a coupling in the back-side of the drain valve. Works fine with whole hops but eventually goes to crap using 100% hop pellets.

Don

Brandon Dachel (216.177.117.110)
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

> I imersion cool in the kettle. Every things
> drops out.

I do the exact same thing. I've tried everything..scrubbies, ss meshes, hop bags, etc. I found that I get the most consistent results with what I do now. YMMV.

Walt Fischer (24.221.196.114)
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hoody..
Waddler is prob right.. This has happened to me as well..
During the boil, the false bottom can jump up and down abit, letting the hops get under there...At draining time, it becomes a stopped up mess.
So make sure you hold that thing down..I put a couple tie wraps around my tube right above the FB to keep it from sliding up at all.. been working fine for years..

Also.. use whole hops if youre not.. the pellets break down so much, they can become a mushy problem on the false bottom as well..

Walt
----

Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 05:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ninety-eight percent of hops produced are pressed into pellets. I certainly like whole hops but there is no reason to limit yourself only to those varieties you can find in this form. As I have said, hop bags are such a simple solution when using pellets.

Chuck Denofrio (205.188.208.73)
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 08:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill I started using your method last fall for dry hopping. So simple!!!
Thanks for the info

Jim Layton (67.202.29.161)
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 11:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill - I expect that you see some decrease in hop utilization when using hop bags. How do you account for that in formulating your recipes?

Hoody (172.197.111.92)
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Waddler,

I think you're right. I have a 15 inch FB which I think flopped up and down durring the boil allowing for the hops to sneak pass. I just have a 1/2 inch hard copper pipe running from the ball valve into the hole of the FB and down to the bottom of the keg with nothing other than a bit of resistance to keep it in place. I will put a clamp on it to keep it snug and down in place. Bill P. I like your idea for the hop bag on pellets. I was thinking I was going to have to go the bazooka route, but I really didn't want to since I bought the FB specifically for the boil kettle. I was thinking a FB with that much coverage would be ideal for most applications. It will be once I can keep it down.

Thanks guys,

Jason.

ps. worm clamp, is that just a circular clamp that you screw to open and close?

Brandon Dachel (216.177.117.110)
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 02:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

> How do you account for that in formulating your
> recipes?

The stock answer is increase your hopping rate by 10%. *My* experience is that it's more than 10% but YMMV.

Greg Harris (204.27.149.97)
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 04:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If Im using hop bags or nylons and 100% hop pelltes do I need to increase or decrease the hops?

Im building a new boil kettle out of a converted sankey keg and plan to use stainless pot scrubers.It sounds like I need to use both.

Thanks

Jim Layton (67.202.29.145)
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greg - If you believe (I do) that putting pellet hops into a bag will decrease the rate at which alpha acids are isomerized and dissolved into the wort, you'll want to use more hop pellets in a bag than you would use if they were loose in the boil.

Brandon - more than 10%? I know its just an educated guess but can you be just a little more exact?

Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The decrease in utilization from the hop bags is canceled by the increase due to the pellets. I find that I can use the same amount of pellets with hop bags as I would whole hops.

waddler (206.45.163.105)
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 12:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hoody, a worm clamp is the same thing as a hose clamp. But make sure you get a stainless steel one. Good Luck.

Jeff McClain (206.207.77.117)
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 01:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been looking everywhere in Promash, and I can't figure out how to add a "worm clamp" ingrediant to my boil.

;)

-Jeff

don price (65.32.41.226)
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 11:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff,

From the main screen...

click "extras"
click "new"
add in the details
click "save"

Now you are ready to add them to the recipes by hitting the "extras & notes" button.

Don

chumley (199.92.192.126)
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 11:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With all due respect, I would suggest considering a galvanized steel hose clamp instead of stainless. Personally, I find it contributes to the heavenly Granny Smith aroma of my finest porters.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.