Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * September 29, 2003 * Blonde Recipe (extract) Like Goose Island if anyone has tried it < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Kris Featheringham (68.49.50.28)
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 08:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey all... I was looking around for a good blonde extract recipe and couldn't find didley. Does anyone have one that they would wish to share?

Kris Featheringham (68.49.50.28)
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 08:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One more thing... I went to their website and this is what they wrote about it...

Alcohol by vol - 4.7%
Alcohol by weight - 3.8%
Hop Bitternes - 25 IBU - Medium
Color - 6.0 Brilliant Gold

...light malt flavor and creamy body ... A generous amaount of Oregon grown hopps add a spicy flavor and a crisp floral aroma.

Steve Pierson (64.136.27.46)
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 02:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This recipe originally came from the Recipator. Baywatch Blonde if you want to go to the Recipator website and search for it.

1 lb. 2 row
8 oz. wheat malt
8 oz. Vienna
8 oz. dextrine malt

6 lbs. light malt extract

1 oz. Saaz hops - boil 60 min.
.5 oz Cascade - boil 5 min.
.5 oz. Cascade - knockout

Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast

Mash the grains per your usual procedure. The wheat is optional - does make for good head in the glass. Add extract and hops.

Alcohol about 5.5% to 6% - lower the amount of extract if you want less alcohol. IBU's about 18 - add hops if you want more bitterness. SRM about 6.

I have made this beer a couple of times. Easy to make and the color is light enough that it doesn't scare off the megabrew crowd. I've never had Goose Island, so I have no idea if this beer is even close in taste.

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a note about Steve's recipe. These grains require mashing; as he mentions, it's not difficult to do a partial mash. It will result in problems with the beer if they are merely steeped.

I don't know that you can produce a close facsimile of Goose Island's blond ale with extract only. However, for a nice light extract ale I would use 80 percent extra light DME and 20 percent wheat DME for an O.G. of about 1.048, bitter to about 20 IBUs with Mt. Hood, add a small amount of Willamette for finishing and ferment with Wyeast 1318.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.