Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * October 5, 2003 * Competitions in North Carolina < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Jason (66.208.134.226)
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello everyone. I am very new to homebrewing. I was wondering if anyone could point me to a list of competitions here in North Carolina or southern Virginia. I was wanting to go see whats out there and figured that would be a good place to start.

Michael (69.132.108.184)
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jason, in the S. central part of the state (Charlotte area), Carolina Brewmasters puts on a large comp. every year. Here is a link to the "US Open." I believe it was/is held in April.

http://hbd.org/cbm/usopen/index.html

Also, if you follow the link to their home page, there are other events and comps. listed, as well. Raleigh/Durham and Asheville have active HB communities. I know one of the members of MALT in Asheville snagged HB of the year a couple of years ago @ the NHC. Here is another link of some other clubs in the state. It is not complete (no Raleigh clubs?), but a start for some other local comps.

http://www.beertown.org/homebrewing/listings.asp

I see in your profile, you are from Winston. I've only found two "part-time" HB shops up there. One is part of a Health Food store, the other a part of City Beverage (which has an excellent beer selection). Where ya' getting your stuff?

I would highly recommend taking the trip to Homebrew Adventures in Charlotte. NAYYYY. Very knowledgeable (BJCP certified owner, ex-brewer at Carolina Brewing), large selection of ingredients, and a large assortment of house "clone" kits they will put together for you. I know a lot of beginners have had great success with these. Ask for Ale.

www.homebrew.com

Cheers. Michael

Jason (66.208.134.226)
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info Michael. I have a friend that was into homebrewing back in the early 90s. He has all the equipment, says he has notebooks full of recipes, etc etc. He is moving in two weeks and will be living about a mile from me. Since fall is coming he said the first thing we were going to do is teach me how to brew beer. So I am still a few weeks away from my first brew.

I have been to both places here in Winston that you mentioned. My friend said they were ok if you just needed something quickly, (caps,bottles,etc)Otherwise he said he orders most everything from Williams??

We have discussed the brew process several times when we go running. So I have been looking forward to this for months now. I am just trying to gain some knowledge before we start. Thanks again for the info and I will keep reading all I can and let you know how it goes.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.