Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * October 5, 2003 * Question for TexanBrewer < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Tacoma Brewers (67.160.107.216)
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 03:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was looking at your website, and came across the Fermentation chiller. I'd really like to build one, but my only snag is that i live in an apartment, and haveing frozen jugs of water in the freezer isn't possible.

My question is, is there another way (that will be effective) to put the ice in the box? Maybe a bucket filled with ice? I work at a brewery, so I can get ice for free from there, and restock the chiller until its at the right temp, and also our freezer has an ice maker, too. I can see though, that a large block of ice would probably last a lot longer than loose ice.

Any thoughts anyone on this one?

TexanBrewer (63.174.45.1)
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sure, Tacoma Brewers.

Any ice container will work. A bucket would be fine though I suspect it will not be as efficient as a number of smaller containers.

The nice thing about using milk and juice jugs is the large surface area you get over a single bucket. That is, a similar volume of water in small, thin walled jugs will melt faster than a like volume of water in a thick-walled bucket. On the surface this may seem like an advantage for the bucket; however, ice absorbs heat from its surroundings so the faster it melts, the faster it is taking away heat.

If youíve several smaller buckets (or maybe 1 or 2 liter soda containers?) that you could freeze at work and bring home, thatíd be great.

If you must go the bucket route, thatís OK. It wonít be as efficient at cooling the chamberís air; however, it will work. You might help it out by occasionally opening the chamber and stirring the bucket. Iíve noticed that even with milk jugs, the sides of the jugs get appreciably cooler when shaken as they melt. Finally, since this will be in your apartment, you wonít have to deal with the temperature differentials I deal with in the garage Ė youíll use much less ice.

Hope this helps and let me know how it turns out, please!

---
Scott
http://texanbrew.com

Tacoma Brewers (67.160.107.216)
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe I could find a couple cheap metal 1/2 gal. pitchers....hmm...I'll definitely let you know how it turns out.

If I was Fredrik, I'd probably build it, put in a thermostat/thermometer that would allow me to attach my PC to it, so I could track the temp around the clock, see the peaks and valleys...at 1857, the wort was at 69.723F...hehehe

but I'm not Fredrik...(though, I have to admit, it would be neat to be able to do that...)

We have a freezer outside at work that has bagged ice in it...I don't see why I couldn't sneak a couple milk containers in there to freeze. Put em in when I get to work at 10pm, then take them home at 6am. We go through a lot of milk at home, too, since we have a youngen'.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.