Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * October 5, 2003 * Gypsum < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

mark anthony (216.203.223.109)
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 08:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What does gypsum do?Does it impart any flavor???.Thanks..Mark

Denny Conn (140.211.82.4)
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 08:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No flavor unless you use a LOT! The main purpose is to reduce the pH of the water in the mash. Secondarily, it can be used to adjust the pH and mineral content of the boil to accentuate hopiness.

Pacman (68.51.78.225)
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 12:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It accentuates bitterness more than hopiness to me, atleast by my definition. Hopiness to me means flavor and aroma and not necessarily bitterness. I was using gypsum in some of my lighter ales (creamale, kolsch, etc.) to reduce the pH of my mash and was getting nailed in competitions for having a lingering bitterness. I switched to CaCl to lower the pH and the bitterness pretty much disapeared.

Denny Conn (140.211.82.4)
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 04:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for keeping me honest, Pacman. I agree, I should have said bitterness.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.