Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * October 10, 2003 * Removing valve from Hoff-Stevens keg < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Bob McCouch (68.34.184.217)
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 03:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While on vacation last week, I toured a small brewery that had recently switched from Hoff-Stevens kegs to Sanke. They are trying to get rid of the H-S kegs because they're just stacked up in the corner of the lot. I bought 4 H-S kegs for $5 each. I'm seriously considering making another 1200 mile round trip and borrowing a pickup truck or something to get another dozen or so.

Anyway, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to remove the valves from these kegs. I found the 3 small allen screws around the valve body, but can't figure out how to unscrew them or remove them after that. Anyone know the secret? Do I need a special tool? Where can I find it?

Thanks all!

Belly Buster Bob (142.177.7.66)
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 03:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue7.3/parker.html
this is all I could find on the subject

Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, I've read that one already... The article states that "the valve is welded to the top center of the keg and is threaded on the outside," but I simply have a hard time believing you can't remove the valve from a Hoff-Stevens for service or replacement. It looks to me like there is a coupling welded to the top of the keg, and the valve screws into that coupling.

Any other ideas? Or can someone perhaps confirm that the valve can't be removed at all?

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To my knowledge Hoff-Stevens kegs cannot be repaired or the valve removed without welding. I suppose a plasma cutter could be used as well. This is one of the several advantages of Sankey kegs.

Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, really?! An opinion like yours was just what I was looking for, that is, someone with some experience in craft brewing who has dealt with (or at least knows why they haven't dealt with) this keg style. Thanks, Bill!

Very interesting. Any other input on this matter?

Frankly, for $5 each, if they all turn out to be bad and end up as barstools, I won't be disappointed.

Belly Buster Bob (142.177.7.88)
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I cut the whole valve assy out ofmine with an angle grinder in about 30 seconds

Hoody (172.192.137.28)
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob,

What are you planning on using them for? Convert them into kettles? And how would you convert them into barstools? Any pics of such a thing?

-Jason

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.