Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * October 16, 2003 * Cleaning Copper Slotted Manifolds < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Paul Hoepper (198.142.49.79)
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guys,
I have a round copper slotted manifold at the bottom of my kettle (Sanke keg), any ideas on the best way to clean & sanitise it?

Cheers
Paul

PalerThanAle (65.168.73.62)
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 01:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just rinse mine before and after. tada.

PTA

Belly Buster Bob (142.177.99.4)
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

same here...no need to do more than that. Sanitise?? Why?

Rich Pedersen (81.240.3.63)
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it detach? I built my to pop out of the keg easily. Just clean it with whatever you use to clean the keg with (like PBW) or even just a good strong hose pressure. Just knock out the gunk so no mold grows in it. Sanitizing it is not necessary, although if you want to go crazy. Clean it and then boil some water in the kettle.

Paul Hoepper (198.142.49.79)
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 09:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am just paranoid that something may be growing inside the manifold where i can't see it, I know it boils for an hour with each batch but i have developed a flavour to my beers that I am unable to isolate.

Cheers
Paul

Kent Fletcher (206.170.107.30)
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 12:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As to the (off) flavor, if you chill your wort in the kettle, then your wort COULD be susceptible to "stuff" in the path from kettle to fermenter. Besides the manifold, be sure to check the inside of all your plumbing: nipples and/or couplings, ball valve, hose/tubing.

One of the advantages of using a CFC that doesn't always get mentioned is that your wort remains at a relatively sterile (or at least, much less susceptible) temperature until after it's removed from the kettle. Of course, you DO have to be vigilant about keeping the interior of a CFC sanitized.

Andrew Bales (199.64.0.252)
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 11:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Add some starsan or some other cleaner to the bottom of the kettle with the filter parts loose in there and let it clean them all at the same time for a hour or two after brewing. I do this about every 3 batches. There is some gunk in there, but nothing to really sweat about. Scrub the kettle. Rinse.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.