Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * October 16, 2003 * Kalik Recipe (Bahamian beer) < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Jeff McClain (137.201.242.130)
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 02:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My wife keeps bugging me to try to make her some of our favorite beer (mostly because of the memories of our trips to a small obscure private island in the Bahamas before we got into the "kid" business), Kalik.

Anyway, this is an extremely light beer, and I suspect it is probably mostly rice or something, but does anyone have a good guess for this beer as a clone? It will give my wife something to drink while my Oatmeal Stout and Black Butte Porter are on tap (not to mention she abhors hoppy beer).

Regards,

-Jeff

Doug Pescatore (141.232.1.10)
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 03:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff, I love Kalik. It is not really a great beer, but more of a great thirst quencher. Every trip to the Bahamas means many Kaliks will be consumed. I know you said that your wife does not like hoppy beers, but Kalik is fairly hoppy. I would guess that it is pils with some rice and a touch of light crystal. The hops are mostly in the form of bittering hops, so you would have to experiement on that one. I would try a noble to start. Maybe tettenger.

Also, it is 5% alcohol so plan the OG accordingly.

Lastly, stay away from Kalik Gold! Last year I was in Chub Cay fishing and drinking all day long. When we got to dinner that night we order Kalik gold. It only took two of these things to turn us into blithering idiots. I have no idea how we made it back to our rooms.

-Doug

Belly Buster Bob (142.177.99.4)
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chub Cay fishing and drinking all day long

hard to beat that sentence

Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I highly recommend Chub Cay. The offshore fishing starts about 100 feet from shore and the price of beer at the island store is onlt $2 per beer instead of $4 everywhere else in the Bahamas.

-Doug

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

These tropical lagers are brewed almost entirely with pale malt and adjuncts. They are all but impossible to duplicate with extract and/or ale yeast.

If you can lager are are willing to make the effort, try 80 percent six-row malt and 20 percent rice for an O.G. of about 1.048. Bitter with a neutral hop (Clusters, for example) to 12-15 IBUs. Aroma hops are not really to style but half an ounce of Saaz per 5 gallons in the last 5 minutes will provide a little more character.

Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill, I found Kalik to be a bit more on the hoppy/bitter side than 12 to 15 IBUs. I also felt it was not as grainy as an american light lager. I would stick with 2-row or pils.

Eventhough this beer is light and goes down quick, it packs a nice 5% alcohol punch.

-Doug

Jeff McClain (137.201.242.130)
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 09:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks guys. As the weather turns colder, and reading all this, I'm really longing for our private beach house we rent on Elbow Cay in the Abacos with our own 26' boat to cruise up and down the islands...sigh.

-Jeff

Doug Pescatore (172.159.184.64)
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 02:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff, I dream about my trip coming in May almost daily. I will be floating around the sea of abaco in a 37 foot catamaran sailboat. Sort of camping with a motorhome on the ocean.

And yes, I will bring plenty of homebrew but will need a few cases of Kalik to keep us going.

-Doug

Jeff McClain (206.207.77.117)
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 04:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Say hi to Hopetown for me...sigh.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.