Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * October 30, 2003 * Room temp/Carboy temp < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Jim O'Conner (63.164.170.44)
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The wall thermometer in my fermentation closet reads about 6-8 degrees higher than the stick-on thermometer on my carboy. Which is correct? Both?

big earl (209.222.26.27)
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 06:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

one, the other, both, niether ... who knows

what's a wall thermometer ???

You can stick a thermometer in boiling water to see if it's accurate, I use probe type thermometers which makes this easy (you can adjust them)

Denny Conn (63.114.138.2)
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 06:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, it's usually the other way around! I've founbd those stick on thermometer strips to be fairly accurate, so I'd believe it until you have a reason not to.

Jeff McClain (137.201.242.130)
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 08:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree Denny. Normally, my fermometer strips are about 2-4'F higher than the ambiant temp (normally only during active fermentation) and then they drop down to be almost dead on the ambiant after about 5 days and fermentation has dropped off.

-Jeff

Walt Fischer (24.221.196.114)
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bring in a 3rd thermo and break the tie..;>

Walt
----

Ken Anderson (68.235.34.176)
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 11:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I took a piece of styrofoam and duct taped it tightly to the side of my fermenter. Then I took the probe on my remote thermometer and slid it in between the keg and the styrofoam. The idea is to get it to read the keg and not the ambient air. The readout part is magnetic and sticks to the outside of the fermenting fridge, which is pretty handy. Seems to work well.

Dave Witt (152.163.252.67)
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 01:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there any way you have stratified air (thermocline)in your closet, with the cooler air being below the wall thermometer?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.