Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * October 30, 2003 * What happend now? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Jeremy S (152.163.252.67)
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 08:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The wort in my fermenter just stoped bubbleing, not slowed...STOPED! I did everything like I was supposed to, I think. Here is the steps I took this time in order maybe you guys can see if I did anything wrong.
1. Sanitized equipment (bleach for some and a powder type sanitizer for the rest, don't know the name of the powder)
2. Rinsed equipment
3. Boiled wort
4. Chilled and added oxygen (did this at the same time using a wire whisk, got a real thick foam on top...shaving cream thick.
5. Checked wort temp (70 deg)
6. Transfered to primary
7. Pitched yeast (Windsor ale yeast)
8. Placed in closet (temp of closet stays at about 75 deg. all the time)

That's it. Lag time was about 6-7 hours and I got a 1/4" layer of kraussen (this is a 1 gallon primary). 2 days later no activity, popped the top and smelled the wort and it seemed fine, no off smells or any thing, so I just added 1/2 cup of dextrose. I hate brewing bad beer and this seems to be my second batch in a row. I know good beer is hard to brew for a beginer like me, but damit this sucks!

Hornbrau (130.76.96.14)
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 09:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your beer has probably finished the "active" fermentation stage, during this stage the yeast chews up all of the simple sugars in the wort, usually aroud 3/4 of the total fermentation. The next stage of fermentation will show very little sign of activity but its still cranking away now working over the more complex sugars. No need to add or do anything at this point. Just relax and let the yeasties do their thing.

Ed Fleming (192.250.112.193)
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 09:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What's the problem?
Did you check the gravity? That's the only way to know if fermentation is finished. I've had beers finish in as little a 24-30 hours, so you're probably fine.
By the way. 75 is too warm, you want to keep temps around 68 for most ale yeasts.

Ryan Larsen (216.27.223.203)
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Patience is the finest art!
Your fermentation may have just slowed. What type of beer are you brewing and do you have O.G. readings? If so you could take another reading in a day or so. However the 1/2 cup dex. might offset it a little. Sometimes it takes a while for enough CO2 to build up to bubble the airlock depending on how much activity is taking place. You might want to take a hydrometer reading now and then wait a couple of days to see if it's still fermenting.

I've spent many hours watching a batch of beer because I also get worried nothing is happening.
All except one were o.k. and that was a triple that I didn't seem to pitch enough yeast for. (thats when I learned about the yeast starter).

Like Papa says, Relax, Don't worry, have a homebrew.

Ryan

chumley (199.92.192.126)
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 10:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why did you add a half cup of dextrose to the primary after it was finished?

Walt Fischer (24.221.196.114)
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 10:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your beer was prob all done!
But it aint so much done now that you added in more sugar... hehe
Its gonna take off again and prob be alittle rocket fuelish...
Just let it sit like it is and watch..;>
Prob see it take off again.. then stop a few days later again...
then proceed as normal...n quit adding sugar..unless you want 80 proof beer.. heh

Walt
----

Matt Harrington (172.164.166.89)
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 10:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you say that you're doing a 1 gallon batch? & why did you add the dextrose?

Jeremy S (152.163.252.67)
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 12:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The dextrose was supplied with the kit I bought and was called for in the directions the first time I brewed, I was to add it to the wort during both the boil and secondary. Since I did not use the directions this time I added no dextrose to the wort during the boil. I kinda figured the DME that they included with the kit was a little de-sugared or sumpthin. Yes I am doing 1 gallon batches right now...'till I get a semi-decent 1 gal batch I am not going to go any bigger. I just don't see the point of brewing 5 gallons of bad beer. I can choke down a 6 pack of skunky beer, 52 of 'em just seems a little harsh. Just checked my wort...yup gots them bubbles back (closet smells like a proofing cabinet! Wort is VERY cloudy (maybe I shouldn't have thrown in that extra little dash of yeast with the dextrose) well live and learn I guess. Oh well I guess I'll have to deal with a slightly high octane beer...darn! ;D I have a hydrometer, but from what I can see it takes about 1 gallon to fill a container long enough to use it(the only thing I have that could be used to test in is a 24 oz. Pilner glass, and to use that my beer would have to start at 1.070 OG and end at 1.050 FG). Could I sterilize the container and the hydro and after checking the gravity pour it back into the fermenter? Also does anyone know if hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) could be used as a non-rinse sterilizer? I know when exposed to the atmosphere it breaks down in to water.

Dave Witt (152.163.252.67)
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 01:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Get a hydrometer jar. Looks like a graduated cylinder without the markings. That'll be long enough to get a gravity reading. Holds a few ounces.

Craig Johnson (172.198.96.231)
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeremy,

It is pretty hard to brew up a bad batch of beer with modern ingredients and equipment. Get yourself an ingredient kit from your LHBS and be careful with your sanitation. At worst you will taste the beer and think "This tastes OK to me."

Kenny Reed (67.248.200.29)
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To echo Ed's post, get that temp down!
Put it in a bucket of water & use a couple of soda bottle ice jugs. Rotate one from freezer to bucket & keep bucket covered with a towel.
This should drop your ferm temp down to high 60's. IMHO, this is the single most important thing you can do to make better beer.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.