Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * November 12, 2003 * First Time Using Safale < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Craig Johnson (172.195.119.177)
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I cooked up a batch of DC Rye IPA and screwed up the sparge. Instead of five gallons I ended up with only four. My OG is 1.086. I tossed in one packet of Safale. Am I going to be OK or Should I run to the LHBS so I can pitch another?

Doug Pescatore (141.232.1.10)
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Craig, I always pitch two packets, but that is because I am lax on aeration. If you did a good job of aerating, then you should be just fine. I would think that if you whipped and splashed for a good 5 to 10 minutes you will have no problem. After all, you are suppose to be able to pitch one packet with no aeration if you believe DCL's website.

-Doug

Drew Avis (209.226.137.107)
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 01:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Craig, which Safale? S-04 is a monster, and even w/ a high OG, one 11 gr pack should be ok, though 2 would be better. I pitch 25 gr in most of my beers as standard practice.

S-33 might take a bit longer.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.