Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * November 12, 2003 * Immersion chiller to counterflow < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Stephen Shaughnessy (208.34.82.6)
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a immersion chiller and am contemplating converting it to a counterflow. However, i ususally siphon out of the pot into the fermentor and do not have a pump or a way to gravity feed from the pot. Would I have to create a siphon using the entire length of the chiller.?

Denny Conn (63.114.138.2)
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try www.wortwizard.com

Rob Strebler (68.166.203.157)
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 04:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't answer the immersion chiller siphon question, but I did just convert an immersion chiller to a counterflow. If you do it, spend a lot of time straightening the copper out. Be very anal! Even slight bends cause the hose to catch. It took me about an hour to get the hose on 35' of copper because I didn't spend enough time straightening.

Cheers!

Midwest Brewer (194.205.123.10)
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Copper tubing is cheap...if you're going to the expense of building a CF chiller buy a new roll.

MWB

davidw (209.107.44.126)
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 10:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And use your immersion chiller as a pre-chiller if necessary.

Streb (68.166.205.167)
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 01:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

> Copper tubing is cheap...if you're going to the expense of building a CF chiller buy a new roll.

It's really not that hard to straighten it out, depending on how well you rolled the immersion chiller the first time. If the IC is just going to sit around unused, go ahead and convert it. It would probably take 45 minutes to an hour to straighten and build the whole thing if you spent a few extra minutes getting the copper straight. I agree that if you don't already have a pre-chiller, they're nice to have in hotter climates.

Cheers,
Rob

Jeff McClain (137.201.242.130)
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 01:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, a pretty good CFC is cheap too. $35 with a thermometer from Brewtree. Save your immersion chiller for starters that you do in the house or for a prechiller...just my $0.02.

-Jeff

Streb (68.166.205.167)
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 01:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

> Actually, a pretty good CFC is cheap too. $35 with a thermometer from Brewtree. Save your immersion chiller for starters that you do in the house or for a prechiller...just my $0.02.

I guess you guys just don't enjoy building your own stuff as much as I do. :)

-Rob

Jeff McClain (137.201.242.130)
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 01:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heheh...oh, no! I actually built my CFC myself too. Just after doing it, it was WAY cheaper to have just bought one. And I think it was way too much work. Of course I did the stupid thing of trying to actually put 1/2" OD (3/8" ID) copper tubing inside 3/4" copper tubing for mine...you think fitting tubing into a rubber hose is hard? Try jamming 30' of even SLIGHTLY bent 1/2" OD copper tubing into 3/4" ID other SLIGHT (but DIFFERENTLY) bent tubing. took a LONG time and I was cussin' up a storm.

LOL.

-JM

Streb (68.166.205.167)
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 02:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lol Jeff! Man, I can only imagine the pain of threading a copper in copper CF chiller.

I used some Phil's Phittings which ran about $16.00 and a $7.00 Wal-Mart hose. Since I already had the copper, the total cost was about 23 bucks. Plus, mine is about 35 feet vs. the 25 foot brewtree.

The thermometer port on the Brewtree is pretty cool though!

Rich Bartsch (12.209.216.148)
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 05:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff, I just went to the Brewtree site and all's I could find was a $50 CFC with thermometer. I'm guessing that's the one you refer to?

At $35 it's a no-brainer purchase. At $50 I've got to price check the parts at my Home Despot and LHBS.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.