Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * November 12, 2003 * Is this yeast ready? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Jonathan White (66.20.229.207)
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 04:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I brewed a Pale Ale 10/04/03. Racked to secondary 10/9/03 and saved and washed yeast per Wyeast instructions Yeast Washing for the Home Brewer. I have about 1/4 cup of slurry covered by one cup of water. Can I brew today and decant the water and pitch, or should I feed the yeast and wait however long that takes? If I feed the yeast, do I pitch at maximum activity (no bubble counter, just my eyeballs and a stopwatch) or do I wait until the starter finishes fermenting, decant and pitch? Thanks for your help.

Jim Keaveney (64.12.96.42)
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 05:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i think the general rule of thumb is that if it has been sitting for more than a couple of weeks, you should make a starter. that said, i have re-pitched a month or so later without a starter
(tho i have never washed yeast). i simply let it warm up to room temp. if you have the time, a starter certainly would not hurt. the yeast would be ready in a day or 2. there has been some debate on this board as i recall some time ago about the optimum time for using the starter (ie high krausen vs. after it drops). in my experience, high krausen or immediately after works best. omv.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.