Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * November 19, 2003 * Anti foam users < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Todd Metcalf (68.234.91.58)
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 06:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm using some antifoam stuff I got from B3. It is suppossed to reduce the foam during primary fermentation, thus no need for a blow off tube.

Are my assumptions correct about what it is suppossed to do?

When should I add it to the fermentor?

Basically I'm asking these questions because it didn't seem to do anything. I added the amount specified on the bottle, two drops per gallon. I then aerated by shaking the carboy. 4 hours later, noticed there was some foam but nothing to be worried about. 8 hours later, doesn't look like its working, I'll add some more drops to see what happens. It does reduce that foam. I look at it 12 hours later, should have gotten a blow off tube, the airlock is full of beer.

I'm fermenting 5.5 gals in a 6.5 carboy.

Did I not use this stuff correctly, or does it just not work?

Tom Gardner (198.81.26.40)
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 06:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Todd, I have used anti-foam products from HopTech and Five Star. I ferment in 5 gallon cornies and always use it for ales. The usual amount works for the usual ferments, but big beers or fermentations on yeast cakes always need more. It sounds like yours is working because it kept the foam down from the oxygenation, but it just wasn't enough for the fermentation. Just experiment with more next time. Or maybe it needs to be mixed or shook up before using? Tom

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 06:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Add up to a teaspoon of antifoam compound per 5 gallons prior to pitching the yeast. It will be reduced during fermentation. Perhaps you didn't use quite enough. I would not add it if most of the fermentation has completed.

Dave Witt (152.163.252.67)
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 04:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just for kicks, (and to prevent a boilover on my wife's new stove), I added it to the boil of my last starter. I actually works as a boilover preventer. The wort boiled like water.

I've also added it to a ferment at high kraeusen that was blowing through the air lock. It worked at this point also.

Drew Avis (209.226.137.107)
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 09:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've also used it in the boil and the fermentor - it works, but you need to add a bit more than they recommend.

BTW Bill, are you sure this stuff is metabolized by the yeast? I thought it was just silica gel, and settled out once the beer was done. Or are there different types? (Mine, from Siebel, says on the label that it's a silica gel).

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 11:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I didn't mean to suggest that it was metabolized by the yeast but that it broke down during fermentation. As I understand it, the active ingredients are silica gel and vitamin E.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.