Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * November 19, 2003 * Carastan malt? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Vance Barnes (69.15.38.210)
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 10:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a recipe I want to brew that calls for Carastan malt by Great Western. I can't get Great Western products locally and want to try to substitute for this malt if I could find out anything about it. Searched the BYO, Grains 101, and the only thing I even found on GW was in BT's Brewers Market Guide but it didn't list Carastan. Any ideas? I'm guessing it's a type of crystal malt? Does GW have a web site?

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suspect you are referring to Hugh Baird Carastan malt from the UK. Both Hugh Baird and Great Western are owned by Canada Malting, itself a division of ConAgra; I believe HB malts are distributed by GW in the US.

Carastan is available in both a light (13-17L) and dark (30-37 L) version. I would call the light version equivalent to light crystal/caramel malt from other maltsters and the "dark" is really a medium caramel/crystal malt.

Paul Edwards (64.109.56.27)
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 11:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carastan is advertised as having more of a toffee flavor than other crystal malts.

I just picked up some of the dark carastan from my LHBS, and used some in an ESB. That brew is still in primary, so I can't give you my impressions (yet). I did chew a few kernels of the grain, and it does have a nice toffee flavor.

Baird's web site is: http://www.scotgrain.co.uk/

many mail order places sell carastan in both light & dark versions

Vance Barnes (69.15.38.210)
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not sure if my LHBS carries Hugh Baird or not. Recipe specificaly said Great Western but it looks like Baird has Carastan trademarked. Looking at their site it apears that the Carastan is the darker version. They also list a Light Carastan. Thinking of using Crystal 40 and toasting it for 30 min. or so first to get a more toffee flavor. Maybe throw in a little torrified wheat too?

Guess it's not too critical as the recipe is for (gasp) the dreaded Chili Beer ;>) I usually brew my recipe of Chili Beer for a friends yearly Chili/cornbread cookoff on the winter solstice. 5 gal doesn't last long so this year I'm going to do my usual recipe and one from Zymergy a couple of months back.

Thanks for the info on carastan!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.