Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * November 25, 2003 * Recarbonating Thawed frozen beer < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Paul Hoepper (211.29.136.11)
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 02:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guys,
Have thawed a keg of beer that was frozen accidentally, the carbonation is quite low, how would I go about recarbonating it?

Cheers
Paul

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 02:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Assuming that the keg is now at the correct temperature, connect it to a CO2 source and force carbonate it as you would any keg.

Ken Anderson (68.235.34.176)
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Out on a limb here, but I believe it's possible for the freeze/thaw cycle to clear the beer a bit and cause some sediment. I say that because I had it happen with wine. Play it safe and force carb the slow way, to keep things clear.
Ken

chumley (199.92.192.126)
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I froze a keg of alt that was left outside at hunting camp overnight last weekend. We pulled it inside the hunting chalet in the morning. When we got back from hunting that evening, the beer was thawed, but didn't seem to lose any carbonation. Weird.

Scott Kuester (40.0.40.10)
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 09:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CO2 is increasingly soluble in beer at colder temperatures. When that beer turns solid, CO2 comes out of solution resulting in flat beer. If you don't let any of the CO2 out (by dispensing, etc.), over time it should return to its previous carbonation level. I've had bottles freeze up on me. I let them thaw,wait a couple days and everything's back to normal.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.