Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * December 2, 2003 * Wheat beer extract/grain recipe advice needed < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

John Schmidt (65.238.10.97)
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 07:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I want to brew a 5 gal. batch of extract/grain wheat beer on Saturday, but the LHBS doesn't have any unhopped wheat malt extract, only Cooper's hopped wheat. I don't really like the idea of using a lot of hopped extract. I don't think they have any malted wheat either, but I'm not sure about that. I see three options:

1. Use one can of hopped wheat extract, some barley DME, and some flaked wheat.

2. Use all barley DME and more flaked wheat.

3. Use some barley DME, and try to mash some flaked wheat and barley malt by steeping it in a large nylon bag.

I'm going for an OG of 1.050-55 and hopefully 5% abv. I had my heart set on brewing this weekend, so ordering online is not an option. Keep in mind that I only have a 4 gal. stock pot, so I have limited room for mashing. Option 3 seems possible, but I suspect it's not as easy as it sounds.

Also, does Hallertauer go well with Cascade? I want my beer to be a little more floral so I thought I would finish with 1 oz of Cascade.

Thanks.

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 08:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would be inclined to find another shop that stocked wheat DME rather than use hopped wheat LME. As for your other options, wheat, malted or flaked, should not be steeped; it requires mashing. As a practical matter, if you are going to mash as much malted wheat as you would need for a typical wheat beer you might as well mash all the grain.

big earl (209.222.26.27)
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what Bill said

or make another kind of beer (what I would do)

or get some wheat DME shipped overnight

Hallertau can go with Cascade, but does Cascade go with wheat?? (styles be damned, go for it)

Santium is a cross of Hallertau, Tettnang & Cascade, you may want to try santium

PalerThanAle (65.168.73.62)
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just did an American Wheat with all Santiam. It was actually big earls extract recipe that I converted to All Grain and then substituted the hops and the yeast....anyway....

This was the beer that lasted 1.5 hours after tapping the keg.... It was all about yumm. Go for it.

PTA

Roger Mercier Jr (150.159.224.8)
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you could try kent goldings with the hallertau...that's in my next recipe:

10 gallon batch

1lb amer crystal 10L Steeped 30 mins at 155
10lb wheat DME
3lb light DME
.5oz haller. mittel. 60 min
.5oz kent golding 45 min
.5oz kent golding 30 min
1oz tett 15 min
1oz haller aroma

bitterness rating of 19..is that good for a weizen?

i thought about steeping wheat malt also...done it before and the beer was excellent. why shouldn't it be steeped?

big earl (209.222.26.27)
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

strange hop schedule for a Wheat...
whats the purpose of the EKG additions (i'd skip them and add more Hallertau at 60min)
what yeast ???????

bitterness rating??? if you mean IBUs you can check BJCP style guidelines (bav. weizen 10-20 ibu)

do not steep any wheat, mash it or skip it

Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wheat contains considerable unconverted starch that is extracted into the beer if steeped rather than mashed. This contributes to haze (admittedly not always a problem with a wheat beer) and also shortens the life of the beer by providing food for beer-spoiling bacteria that can metabolize starches.

John Schmidt (132.235.18.204)
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 01:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the advice guys. I found a local whole foods-type place that sells some homebrewing supplies. They have John Bull wheat syrup there, so I guess I'm OK.

Is it possible to carryout a "mini-mash" in a stockpot with a large nylon strainer bag? For some reason, I'm intrigued by this idea. I can't think of a good reason why not, and sparging would just consist of turning up the heat and dunking the bag up and down like a tea bag. Obvoisly there would be limits on how much you could mash (maybe 3 pounds). Unless anyone tells me this is a stupid idea, I think I'll try it and supplement it with the wheat syrup and some DME.

Big Earl, thanks for the tip on the Santiam hops. I think I'll use that if the LHBS has it. I've heard that Sierra Nevada uses Cascade in their wheat beer, which I really like.

Brandon Dachel (63.238.222.190)
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 02:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

> Is it possible to carryout a "mini-mash" in a
> stockpot with a large nylon strainer bag?

Absolutely. Be forwarned though - I only did this once. Every batch since has been all grain.

> sparging would just consist of turning up the
> heat and dunking the bag up and down like a tea
> bag.

Actually using a strainer would be a bit more efficient.

Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 02:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i appologize for highjacking this thread :)

ok...no steeped wheat. how would german munich work out?

I think i'll just go with

1oz haller 60min
.5oz kent 30 min
1oz tett 15min
1oz haller aroma

and 13 pounds all wheat extract

3068 yeast

Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oops...double post

Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Munich malt also contains unconverted starches and should be mashed rather than steeped. A partial mash with some base malt (to provide enzymes for conversion) is practical for a recipe with a moderate amount of munich malt. It would be less so for a wheat beer. I recommend using wheat DME for extract wheat beers.

big earl (209.222.26.27)
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 03:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Munich malt must be mashed also

the Wheat extract will be fine alone (most wheat extracts contain 60%wheat 40%barley)

Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks again for the valuabe info gentlemen. man! i can't wait to go all grain.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.