Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * December 2, 2003 * Lager starter < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Milan Bartolec (67.170.82.145)
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 11:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am going to be making 10 gallons of Helles German Lager. Last week I made 6 gallons of the exact recipe, using the same OG, mashing schedule hop schedule.
Half of this I canned for future starters in mason jars.
The other half I pitched a XL smack pack of Wyeast (Bavarian lager). Its been fermenting for a little under a week at 50F.
My plan is to split the 3 gallons for 2 brew sessions. I was planning to stir it up, and pitch half the beer this week, and half the beer next week for my 10 gallon batches.

My question is: Can I pitch half of it this week, even though its still fermenting away, or should I wait until it has fermented out, crash cool and pitch only half of the slurry?

TIA

Dave Witt (172.167.173.198)
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 12:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ideally, you should have made a half gal starter and decanted the wort after it fermented and then pitched it into the 3 gallons. Then you could have racked the 3 gal to secondary and had an extra 3 gal of beer.

At this point, you could let the beer ferment out and decant before repitching, or OTOH, pitch the fermenting beer into your new batch. Being that its active, that may be the best thing to do. Be sure and aerate well.

Milan Bartolec (67.170.82.145)
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 12:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm hoping that's OK. It was my original plan. Do you think that 1.5 gallons of "beer" will affect a 10 gallon batch greatly? Theoretically, it should be the same beer I'm adding since the recipe, mashing, hoping and fermentation are the same.

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 12:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go for it, Milan. Your plan sounds good to me.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.