Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Visit The Brewery's sponsor!
Brews & Views Bulletin Board Service * Brews and Views Archive 2003 * December 9, 2003 * Rough Brew session today! < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Mike Mayer (205.188.208.75)
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 02:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How do I keep my false bottom (SABCO) from floating up and letting grain below. Today was the second time this happened, and it completely plugged ALL of my plumbing including my RIMS, pump, and siphon tube. This all happened about 3/4 way through my mash, so it was an extremely challenging day today. Not sure why this happened again, I have not really changed my technique/process at all, and it's worked fine for my until these last two sessions.

Mike
Cleveland, OH

David Woods (65.234.17.61)
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 03:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only way I can think of is to wedge it in the mash tun somehow. You can try to get a vinyl hose that is long enough to go around your false bottom, then cut the hose on one side only. Then fit it around the outside of the false bottoms edge. This should increase the diameter of the false bottom enough to wedge it in when installing it. Plus vinyl should be a little plyable when putting it in without scratching the sides.

That's all I got at the moment. Anyone else?

David

Hoody (67.250.101.199)
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 04:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike,

I USED to have the same problem. I put a small hose clamp on the siphon tube above the FB and problem solved. It holds really well. Just be sure you get SS, so it won't rust. I love it when just several pennies will solve such a terrible problem.

Jason.

Ken Anderson (24.55.255.75)
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 04:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Use copper plumbing for stiffness. Also attach a plastic plate to the underside of the FB. Works flawlessly for me anyhow.
Ken

Greg Harris (204.27.149.86)
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 04:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it be possible to put a hose clamp around the pick up tube,using the clamp should hold that in place. Good luck

Greg

Joe Williams (144.106.63.60)
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 05:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The first time I used my SABCO F/B I had the same problem. I solved it by doing two things, I cut about 3/8 in. off the bottom of the pick-up tube. Raising the point where liquid is extracted allowed what grist that got past the F/B to lay there harmlessly. Second, when I assembled the mash tun, I realized that the hole in the center of the F/B did not exactly line up with the pick-up so I spun the F/B around until I found a point where it matched the shape of the keg and the tube exactly. Since doing that, I haven't had a problem.

Joe

stephen weiss (163.246.53.126)
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 05:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I sew (with copper wire)a circle of supported fine stainless mesh (from a cooking spatter guard with the handle cut off)to the bottom of the false bottom. No pain no grain,lol.

Steve

Mike Mayer (65.123.108.89)
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 08:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks everyone, all great idea's, and I will be using several of them on my system rework! I actually have my system torn down now for re-plumbing, and to add a HERMS system as well, so I will be able spend some time on this issue. I may dump my SABCO siphon tube (big waste of $90) and just make up a copper pickup tube instead. The SABCO tube/false bottom is so far off center that I am sure it has allot to do with my problem. I bought both my converted keg, and the siphon from SABCO, but they never bothered to fit the siphon tube with the f/b based upon the welded coupling position.

Mike
Cleveland, OH

Bill Pierce (24.141.63.119)
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 08:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might contact Sabco and ask them to make it right. At the price of their pickup tube they should ensure that the keg fitting is welded in the correct location for a proper fit. Because you bought it as a package, my opinion is that they have an obligation to make it work without problems.

Mike Kessenich (165.189.92.23)
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 09:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the pick-up tube go into a compression fitting? If so, just loosen the comp fitting pull out the tube and cut it down to the proper length to meet the hole when rotated into a closer position.

Mike Mayer (152.163.252.67)
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 03:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill,

Yeah, I should have done that....but....that was last summer, and it's only become a problem now. Not sure why, maybe I've just been lucky up to now. At this point, it wouldn't be appropriate to send it back. Anyway, I'm now far enough ahead on my brew inventory (40gallons) that I can re-think my system and correct a few other plumbing mistakes.

Mike

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.